Alternator making noise

Gotta love that wiring . . .
RoyBatty
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider - 1971 124 Sport Coupe

Alternator making noise

Post by RoyBatty »

Hi all,
I got to work this AM and noticed as I parked the car , some noise from the engine compartment as I revved the engine a bit.
Using the broom handle stethoscope I found that the alternator is the source of the noise. It sounds as though the bearings have gone away.
The part number I have on the Marelli tag says 63303191.
There is a local shop with one on the shelf marked 63303391.
Is the '391 a good number for my '75 Spider?
FYI, The alternator is still making power. Just with a little additional noise.
Thank You
EDIT
Never mind, I just found out it wont work.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: Alternator making noise

Post by mdrburchette »

Do you have a local rebuilder that can go through your alternator?
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty »

Hi , Denise? is it?
The guy that has the alternator I thought might work actually runs just such a shop.
I have a replacement on the way from my local NAPA store and when that is installed I will take the original unit into the previously mentioned shop for him to go through it.
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

Cool. I am lucky to have a guy here locally that takes care of all my starters and alternators.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
Exit98

Post by Exit98 »

Hey Roy,

I had alternator issues too with my early 76. I found a local guy, an oldtimer, with a classic 1950's starter, generator, alternator shop. Great find.

Anyway, what I wanted to tell you is that even after fitting the rebuilt unit I continued to have rotational noise. Seems my bracket, mine bolts to the block, had been bent and even after strightening it it must still be a few mm's off. Tightening the alternator mounting bolts very tight, more than once, seems to have taken care of it, at least for now.

I'd like to find one of these brackets like mine off a 76 or earlier Spider. I understand there were different brackets and mounts over the years.

Anyway, good luck, having the original as a spare should come in handy some day.
RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty »

Exit98 wrote:Hey Roy,

Anyway, what I wanted to tell you is that even after fitting the rebuilt unit I continued to have rotational noise. Seems my bracket, mine bolts to the block, had been bent and even after strightening it it must still be a few mm's off. Tightening the alternator mounting bolts very tight, more than once, seems to have taken care of it, at least for now.

I'd like to find one of these brackets like mine off a 76 or earlier Spider. I understand there were different brackets and mounts over the years.

Anyway, good luck, having the original as a spare should come in handy some day.
So I read the above about 45 minutes ago.
Spent 10 minutes thinking "Could it be??.......Naaa couldn't be.........ya think maybe?............Na I'm smarter than that."
Went out to driveway and lifted the hood. Grabbed alternator and wiggled with both hands. Hmmm, seems a "little loose"
Loosened belt tensioner bolt and grabbed alternator to wiggle again...."WTF??" I'm alone in the driveway at 9PM after two wild turkeys and 7up. I'm allowed to cuss at this point.
Looked under car at main alternator mount bracket. Is there supposed to be a nut at the rear of that big bolt?? YES!!!
Found a suitable nut in my hardware collection,(junk boxes) and installed to rear of bottom bolt. Reset belt tension. Started engine and no more rattle!!!
I will go to the NAPA store and fess up and offer to pay the freight for the alternator I don't really need.
Talk about mixed emotions, YAY it's fixed and ARRRGH I'm stoopid all in the same thought.
I am here to freely admit, I am a dumb ass, Or as my mom would say, a "lolo okole". But if you tell anyone, I'll deny it.

Exit98, I owe you an alcoholic beverage of your choice. As long as it's a beer.

Hope this was fun for all of you.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

Don't beat yourself up. You used this forum and obtained valuable information. It is better than spending money on an alternator you did not need. That makes you pretty smart. I'm sure we have all been in similar situations with our cars. The WTF moment when we realize the answer was there all along and we just could not see it for some reason.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

We've all been there, Roy. Luckily folks here are very supportive and only rib you after the second stupid thing. :mrgreen:
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

Actually, you are pretty sharp to hear the noise, and investigate, and find the nut being missing. In my case, it went past that stage without me noticing it until I heard a metal clunk while driving down the road and looked in the rear-view mirror to see the bolt bouncing along on the road behind me. So, I think that you did fairly well!

Alvon
Exit98

Post by Exit98 »

Exit98, I owe you an alcoholic beverage of your choice. As long as it's a beer.
Glad to help.

You mentioned Wild Turkey, I prefer Makers Mark or Knob Creek but I'll settle. Where do I have to go to collect. (Your location isn't on your profile.)
RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty »

Hey E98,
I saw in here and in another thread you tracked me down.
So yeah, you get in the area and we'll go run some twisty roads nearby and then stop for a drink at home.
Your son has had the opportunity to see some beautiful parts of the state.
Hope he is keeping himself safe. My dad is a retired fire fighter. I know how it can go.