parking light switch on steering column

Gotta love that wiring . . .
84pininfarinablack

Post by 84pininfarinablack »

When the switch is in the middle position / on and im driving at night when i turn the wheel left or right I can feel pressure being put on this switch. the more i steer the more pressure.. Usually a half wheel turn will get the switch to fully click left or right thus turning off my parking lights. has anyone had this happen? what was the problem? Wanted to ask before i take the whole thing apart.
wikkid

Re: parking light switch on steering column

Post by wikkid »

I was just working around the steering column/under dash today, and it was the first time I noticed that switch on top of the steering column. What lights does it control? The car is new to me, so I'm still learning all the functional bits.
84pininfarinablack

it turns on the parking lights. left or right... and then the headlights knob shoots left.. its weird two step process.
Tobi

Post by Tobi »

OK, American cars don't have Parking lights. Your car is an 84 and a European model.
I can only assume that some steering part catches on the wires or as I remember it from my German cars is that the blinker lever switches the parking light from left to right and maybe that is messing with it.
I would take a closer look at the blinker switch.
84pininfarinablack

what do you mean american cars do not have parking lights..
I thought they all had them...
when i say parking lights i mean tail lights.. and the little lights on each fender.. and the yellows up front as well.

which ones do american cars not have ? it is an 84 azzurra i guess.. steering wheel on left as it should be.
Tobi

Post by Tobi »

OK, I guess your car is like what I know from the US cars. Parking lights in the US are all the lights, except the headlights.
In Germany you have that and additional when you park the car u turn on the blinker, left or right, depending on what side you park on and only a small bulb (5W) in "one" headlight and "one" taillight stay on. That is much more easy on the battery.
Since you don't know about this I assume the Azura does not have that or at least not the models that came to the US.
Why do you have that switch than that is not on my 1981.
Does anybody here on the forum know the differences?
Snoopy, how do your parking lights work?