Removing wiring loom Transmission sensors?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jetride124

Removing wiring loom Transmission sensors?

Post by jetride124 »

Good morning and Best wishes to the members of our armed services Bless you Happy Veterans day and everyday you keep our country safe!
I am removing the wiring harness out of my parts car(76 Spider) and I have successfully removed all but the eight wire bundle that goes through the tranny tunnel. I have un-hooked the reverse light switch wires but I can not for the life of me figure out how to un-hook the wires going to the sensor on top and on the side of the transmission. Am I going to drop the tranny to get a better shot at them the wires looked soldered on, an looks like some kind of lock ring holding the sensors in place.( sensors that's what they look like) Any feed back would be most appreciated.
Thanks Jared
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: Removing wiring loom Transmission sensors?

Post by mdrburchette »

You should be able to find a white electrical connector where several wires run into it and disconnect the bundle from the tranny there. It is no different than the white connector for your headlamps or various places under your hood or dash. Any other wires should be a male/female connector and can be disconnected by pulling them apart. I found one such wire not in the bundle on a tranny I have in the shop.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
jetride124

Post by jetride124 »

Right on ill check it out when i get off work. One last piece and ill have it out then comes the process of taking the loom out of my lil blue 76 124 spider and swapping them out oh good times. hopefully by spring ill be zipping along the country roads of iowa. Man i wish i could comprehend all this wiring stuff i just can seem to wrap my head around the fact that there is a thousand wires( least it seems like it.) instead of fifty, there seems to be way more wires than need be. Its gonna be a long winter least i have a garage not heated though. BRRR!
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

Fiat wasn't shy about wiring, that's for sure. It's pretty easy to figure out if you have a good wiring diagram though. Why are you replacing your harness?
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
jetride124

Post by jetride124 »

Im thinking it will be less problematic and easier to follow the wiring diagram with an unmolested harness. It had an engine fire 10 years ago and only one mechanic here in Des Moines would work on it for insurance purposes. And hes one burnt out old hippie and he cut open the loom and spliced in wires that dont match and he just mad things work(sparatically) and replaced electrical parts with what ever he could make work. So you reach under the dash and there is no harness just a rats nest of wires all miss matched and knotted together. oh good times!
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

One of the many reasons Fiat gets a bad rap, I guess. Good luck with your project!
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
jetride124

Post by jetride124 »

Thanks for the insight its much appreciated. Yah 10 years ago she was a daily driver not many problems just little issues. Then the hippie hot a hold of it and it has been there on and off at his shop for the past 8 years. thousand dollar bill every time. so i figured what the hay im a college educated individual that has worked at the local orielly's auto parts for a total of 6 years so i figured whats the worst that could happen it hasn't ran in 2 years anyway so I'm giving it a go. So far replaced the head and gasket twice first head i had machined but it had massive pits all around cylinder 4 so it leaked antifreeze out the back of the head. so i bought a parts car took the head out of it and so far no visible leak. granted its only ran for a few moments at a time sense then. so this winter its gonna get a rebirth of sorts. I think i finally have the timing pretty close, by the way thanks to all who posted about the aux shaft have to be at 1:30 2 o'clock position.( it was some ugly sounds coming from that but at least it wouldn't run long enough to do real harm checked the bearings look alright bearing bolt head a little banged up) So comes wiring and a few parts hanging jobs.(thank god for the parts car) Hopefuly all will go well. Im sure i'll be on here daily...Okay more than likely hourly!! You guys rock! such a priceless resource of information.
jetride124

Post by jetride124 »

All went well except the 6 inch by four inch hole i had to cut in the tranny tunnel. There is a very inconvenient ground bolted to the top of the transmission. But luckily its a parts car and its going bye bye when i pillage the rest of the parts off it. Whew what an ordeal though. Its good test my mental prowess and my ability to think outside the box(or cut a big ass hole in said box) Thanks!
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

Hope you don't need to cut holes in your good car!
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
jetride124

Post by jetride124 »

Hopefully im going to take the tranny out of the parts car because the syncros are going out in lil blue so ill reattatch when im swapping trannys. Hopefully!