failure rate of horn relay?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
minimike
Your car is a: 1979 124 spyder

failure rate of horn relay?

Post by minimike »

My horn was not working. I dropped the panel under the glove box and with the key on, jiggled the wires on the relay with the horn button pressed. I did get the horn to sound, but when I put the relay panel back, no horn.
Anyone had a similar experience? Do the relays get 'soft' inside and need replacing? Can I open the relay up and resolder anything?
mike
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: failure rate of horn relay?

Post by mdrburchette »

My relays are the 38 year old originals so I don't know of any problems with them. Could you be moving a wire that's broken inside the insulator when you're reinstalling the panel? is this an air horn?
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
minimike

Post by minimike »

not air horns, but dual electric horns. I'll have another look at the relay and wiring. Maybe I can jump it and see
if it's the relay.
Lex
Your car is a: 1980 spider 2000 Pininfarina FI

Post by Lex »

Is your steering wheel turned any? or off center any? I know in my car, with the wheel slightly turned the horn fails to sound sometimes. But then I also know when making hard turns (sometimes parallel parking on a steep hill) my horn will sound without being presses. ---its amazing how useful that feature is sometimes, like when you have to swerve out of an idiot drivers way, or when when your parking to pick someone up.
minimike

Post by minimike »

Lex,
Obviously your horn problem is at the button and wiring in the wheel. Mine is, I believe at the relay or wiring at the relay.
mike
Lex
Your car is a: 1980 spider 2000 Pininfarina FI

Post by Lex »

Sorry Mike forgot to add, it only started doing that after I dropped the relay panel under the glove box. I'm sure my problem is systemic to the wiring at the wheel but dropping it 'might' have started that problem.