signals don't work but lights do.

Gotta love that wiring . . .
kensmith

signals don't work but lights do.

Post by kensmith »

I have working headlights, tail lights, brake lights, BUT no turn signals or hazard at all. I replaced the flasher and still nothing. What next?
wikkid

Re: signals don't work but lights do.

Post by wikkid »

Check the bulbs in front and rear signal lamps. Check any/all grounds in the turn signal/emergency flasher wiring. More likely it is a ground issue than a bulb issue, since you get no flash action at all. But you never know - it's an old car.
kensmith

Post by kensmith »

I replaced the flasher and still not working but there are 2 purple wires with plastic ends just dangling near the steering column. I am wondering if they should be on the fuse panel? They don't look like they would go to anything else. Could they be the signal wires and if not, why would they not connect to something?
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I have a wire diagram for the 1981 Spider. Power for the circuit comes from fuse and goes to the hazard switch. From there it goes to the flasher on the dark blue wife. the output of the flasher is the purple wire and it goes to an 8 pin connector behind the inst cluster. At c20 the violet wire doubles up with another violet wire that goes to an 11 pin connector behind cluster. C20 supplies power to the steering wheel turn signal switch. Maybe the 2 purple wires you found are from C20 or C22 connectors.
Do you have a voltmeter or trouble light?? If you do I would check for voltage at C20 violet wires.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

First thing with ANY electrical item inop is CHECK THE FUSES.
Then do as Spider2081 says, check for power at flasher.

Most of the TS issues I see on cars like these involve the hazard switch, and/or the wiring to it. BUT you need to test these things, not just replace them.
Check fuse, if OK, check for power on dk blu wire at flasher
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

Sorry I thought I typed "Fuse A" in my previous post.
Fuse A supplies voltage for about 12 items including the tachometer, fuel gauge, coolant temperature gauge,oil pressure warning light and exhaust gas sensor indicator. Only the turn signal were stated as being inoperative so the fuse is probably good.
kensmith

Post by kensmith »

Thanks Guys!
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

If none of the above work, change the hazard switch. Worked for me. It turns out that routing the power to the signals through that switch wasn't such a good idea...
kensmith

Post by kensmith »

Luddite wrote:If none of the above work, change the hazard switch. Worked for me. It turns out that routing the power to the signals through that switch wasn't such a good idea...
Ok, I found out the hazard switch was on so turn signals would not work so obviously the hazard switch or flasher doesn't work which must be separate from the turn signals because now that the hazard switch is off, the turn signals work. I now have 2 more problems, how do I get the hazard switch to work and why when one turn signal is on, both dash indicator lights blink instead of just the left or right indicator? Or is that the way they work?
cski

Post by cski »

both dash indicator lights blink instead of just the left or right indicator? Or is that the way they work?
That is how my Spider does it.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

yep, only one bulb for the dash indicators. I'm not sure about the newer model Fiats, but there may be a separate flasher for the hazards and the turn signals. Do you have a wiring diagram?
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

Signal lights are usually wired through the ignition switch and hazard lights usually are wired to work even when the ignition switch is off.
On my 1981 Spider wire diagram the hazard lights are powered through "fuse 9" an 8 amp fuse, through the accessory socket, to C32 which is a 7 terminal connector, to the hazard switch. The wire color from the fuse to the hazard switch is Red. Fuse 9 is hot or powered as long as the car battery is connected.
The same output from the hazard switch is used for the flasher (there is only one flasher)when in the signal position and when in the hazard position.
kensmith

Post by kensmith »

I'll look for the hazard flasher and wire from fuse to flasher. I didn't realize there were 2 different flashers.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

Sorry if I misled you.. There is a single flasher. It is used for both the signal lights and the hazard lights. There are 2 power sources from 2 separate fuses. The hazard switch position determines which fuse powers the flasher. With the hazard lights off the hazard switch connects fuse A to the flasher for signal lights. With the hazard lights on the hazard switch selects fuse 9 to power the flasher for hazard lights. Fuse A is powered through the ignition switch and Fuse 9 is hot or powered all the time.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Again, check fuses first.
If fuses OK, it is easy for people to get the wiring on the hazard switch mixed up.
Do you have a wiring diagram??
Keith