Replacement connectors everywhere?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ScoopMan
Your car is a: 1971 Sport Spider and 1979 Spider 2000

Replacement connectors everywhere?

Post by ScoopMan »

Has anyone simply gone ahead and swapped out the troubleprone oem wiring connectors for a more reliable design? I am thinking that the connectors MUST be the reason why these cars have so many electrical issues.

I just bought a 79 two days ago, and the left tail light works now and then, the horn beeps sometimes but not always, the turn signal has the rythym of a 98 year old's heart, the oil pressure gauge does not work, the headlights are about as bright as a Barbie doll, and these are the issues I know about SO far.... I mean seriously, WTF.
danaspider
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 79 vw bus

Re: Replacement connectors everywhere?

Post by danaspider »

Scoop, before getting too carried away with changing connectors, I would go through the entire car and look at the grounds. There are 2 gnd clusters on each fender inn the engine compartment, one under the dash, ... Pull and clean the grounds!!! On the rear lights also pull the PC board that holds the bulbs and clean the edge connector as well as the bulb contacks themselves. I even re-soldered the bulb holders.

On the head lights, after you have gone through the grounds, and made sure also there is a groung cable from engine to body, search the site for "brown wire surgery". This is a change that gets the power for the headlights from the alternator and fixes the dim lights.

Corrosion is the big enemy here.

Hope this helps
Luck Dana

79 Spider 2000
carb
It all about the romace of the car and owner
ScoopMan
Your car is a: 1971 Sport Spider and 1979 Spider 2000

Post by ScoopMan »

Thanks for the advice Dana. I only just bought the car on Saturday, I have never owned a Spider before. I will DEFINITELY go through those ground clusters, check the local light and horn contacts and do the search on 'brown wire surgery', whatever that is....
BPFiat

Post by BPFiat »

What is the best way, or tool to use, to clean the three clusters? It was suggested to use a stainless steel brush. Want to do it right, not make it worse.
2ndwind
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Post by 2ndwind »

I have a friend who has been an electronics tech for the USAF and GE Aircraft. He says >80% of electrical/electronics problems are poor grounding. He showed me how he uses a piece of abrasive pad (cut out of one like below) on both male and female terminals. You can use a small, flat screwdriver to help with the scrubbing.
Then he squeezes the female terminals tight with a pair of needle nose pliers before forcing them back onto the male connector. Often you have to use the needle nose pliers to grip the terminal to push it back on.
Steve
1982 Red Spider 2000
1919 Old Town Sailing Canoe
jimincalif
Your car is a: 1980 FI Spider

Post by jimincalif »

Also recommend installing relays for the headlights. In addition to making them brighter, it will reduce the current thru the ignition switch and its connector block. Those are also weak links.
1980 FI Spider
wikkid

Post by wikkid »

Check out these excellent resources as well:

http://mirafiori.com/faq/content/electr ... estore.htm

and

http://www.artigue.com/?page_id=3

for Fiat electrical troubleshooting and general improvement overhaul.
wikkid

Post by wikkid »

...and you can buy electrical contact cleaner at Radio Shack, for the parts that a scrubber can't get to.
red107
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Post by red107 »

wikkid wrote:...and you can buy electrical contact cleaner at Radio Shack, for the parts that a scrubber can't get to.
Don't waste your money on electrical contact cleaner. I spent over 20 years working on electronics. your best cleaner is Rubbing alcohol. for rough stuff use a green scrubbing pad. A rubber eraser works well for corrosion also. Another trick you can use is get yourself a acid brush. Cut is downs so the bristles are about 1/4 inch and use that. Work great for connectors.
1981 Fiat Spider 2000
2015 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4 Laramie
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU