Wiring Help Pictures Needed

Gotta love that wiring . . .
leadguy

Wiring Help Pictures Needed

Post by leadguy »

I bought my 77 in 2007 on eBay. The seller lived about 100 miles away. I went to get the car with my brother. And while I was in the car starting it, the seller was showing my brother some wire on the passenger side under the hood that "needed to be jiggled".
Anyway the car started, and it drove very strong and well from Kalamazoo to Detroit. It even restarted along the way when I stopped at a rest area. Anyway, I garaged it since I got it home that day and haven't done much on it since. My brother, of course forgot what wire needed to be jiggled and I have been unable to start it or even get the starter to turn.
I have a couple of repair guides, but none clearly shows me pictures of how the wiring of the ignition parts on inner fender should be connected to the coil, distributor, ignition, etc.; and wiring diagrams are Greek to me.
I have accumulated pretty much all of the electrical ignition parts, but I need to see where they go. It looks like the existing wiring was sort of "rigged" so directly replacing part for part will not work. I need to see how the wiring is supposed to look stock.
Can anyone share pictures of their 1800 Spider's wiring? PLEASE
You can send pics to leadguy@netzero.net if they are too big or too many to post here.

Thanks
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Re: Wiring Help Pictures Needed

Post by seabeelt »

Email sent. Do you have a description of the colors of wires and where you think they go. We can help that way also :D
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current
wikkid

Post by wikkid »

Time to learn Greek (aka "wiring diagrams"). Have a look at artigue.com wiring diagrams for your car - they are clear and understandable. These will not tell you where the electrical ignition parts are, per se, but they will show you what color wire should be hooked up to what. There is no "Fiat wiring for Dummies" (alas - I could use such a book!), but you should be able to get pretty far with those diagrams and some questions asked.
courtenay
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by courtenay »

The wires needing to be jiggled could be the two wires connected near the alternator that have been the subject of other discussion on this site. Here's a link
http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic ... =15#p76617

You need to disconnect these, clean the terminals and hook them up again. I've found I've had to do this several times. As you will see if you review the entire thread, some have suggested cutting out the connections and soldering the wires together.
Bruce Shearer
'80 Spider Fi
'10 Volvo XC70
'06 GMC 1 Ton PU
'72 Spider a long, long time ago