Ignition switch question

Gotta love that wiring . . .
wikkid

Ignition switch question

Post by wikkid »

My '84 came with the rear, black part of the original switch intact, but I need a front part with keys. Assuming the existing back part still works, couldn't the front part of another original switch fit on it and work? If an original switch goes bad, it's the back part that is toast, but the front key part would still work, right?

I'm just wondering if anyone would still have an old, fried original switch whose front part and keys I could use. Please let me know if this setup might work - and also, if anyone has one sitting around and gathering dust, please let me know - there has to be a fried switch graveyard out there somewhere!

-Chris
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Re: Ignition switch question

Post by manoa matt »

Yes, yes, and yes. I may have the key and lock cylinder, I remmeber selling someone just the back/electrical contacts part a few weeks ago.

matt.scarton@gmail.com
wikkid

Post by wikkid »

Thanks anyway for checking, Matt. Sorry you couldn't find it.

Anyone else have an old switch that doesn't work that they might want to be rid of? I'm trying not to have to use a whole switch assembly, just the front part, but if it comes down to it, then I'll buy an entire one.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

Chris,

I did find one last night. It does not have a key though.

Matt
surfingfreeman
Your car is a: 1982 2000 FI

Post by surfingfreeman »

anyone ever just put in a pushbutton inline into the proper part of the ingnition circuitry to bypass that part of the switch, every once in a while my ignition switch fails to send juice to the starter and i am forced to compression start the vehicle, it was fun in my more youthful years however now not so much.
Mike
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Chris,I will look if you still need one.I might still have an intact switch with keys.It was in parts box when I got the car,it def. isnt in working order,but is complete.
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !