Won't start, just clicks!

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ragtop2000

Won't start, just clicks!

Post by ragtop2000 »

My 79 would not start right away, intermittently. I would get a click sometimes or a click and a stumble before it would start. It got to the point where it wouldn't start at all, just one click. I have since replaced the battery, cleaned and remounted the engine ground, and cleaned the connections between the alternator and the starter. I have good voltage to the starter and the alternator without any voltage drop. So i think all the connections are good, but it still won't start, just one click. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that I have 13 volts on each side of the brown wire connector between the alternator and the starter, ( after I have separated the connector). Does this mean there is a short some where possibly in the ignition? I am not sure what to check next.
Mathew26

Re: Won't start, just clicks!

Post by Mathew26 »

If its clicking then that's probably the starter solenoid. The old faithful trick is to stab the solenoid with a broom stick and see if it starts then. If this works then the solenoid needs replaced or you can keep stabbing it for a little while just until it leaves you stranded with you groceries. Hope this helps. :D
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I'd suggest you remove the starter and have it repaired. If it has one click, that indicates the solenoid is engaging but the starter motor is not turning. It could be worn brushes or armature or fried windings in the starter motor. Put your voltmeter lead on the lower solenoid post (the one with the lead that goes into the starter motor), then check voltage with the key turned to start.

The stick method that Matthew suggests only works if the starter has worn bushings. When that occurs the armature drags on the field windings. Hitting the starter can shake the armature loose if you hit it while someone has the key turned to start. Be advised that eventually you will break the starter magnets
ragtop2000

Post by ragtop2000 »

Mark you were right as usual. I did the beat it with a broomstick technique before I read your last post. It did get the starter going and it almost started. However, it was followed by a puff of smoke from the starter. So it sounds like I need a new starter and possibly a new solenoid. It looks like a real pain to replace. I will search the forum for wisdom unless any one has any additional advice about doing this myself, or not! At least I know what the problem is now. Thanks for the help.
Mathew26

Post by Mathew26 »

Well I'm sorry to hear that the starter is totally beat-up. Replacing the starter is really just annoying and not too tuff. If you can loosen the motor mounts just a slight bit and get the car lifted up on 4 jack stands. Then you can put a wood block on your jack and position it under the crank pulley, with that you can push the front of your engine up thuse lowering the back of your engine and making the bolts to the starter easier to get too. Good Luck and always work with a friend for safety.
fiasco
Your car is a: 1969 Fiat Spider

Post by fiasco »

Ragtop - I don't know where you are, but If you are not going to buy a new starter (like one of those nice gear-reduction starters that Mark sells), I have an old one in my garage that you are welcome to. It worked fine when I took it off my totaled '76. I'm assuming the starter off my 1800 will work with your 2 liter. It's super heavy though, so the cost of shipping it could be high.

-- se
Steve Eubanks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1969 Fiat 124 Spider AS | 2108 Fiat 124 Spider Classica | http://calstylestudio.com