Fan switch

Gotta love that wiring . . .
mik
Your car is a: 1969 124 Spider Convertible

Fan switch

Post by mik »

Fan didn't come on, pried switch out. In doing so came in contact with something, got a spark. Replaced blown fuse, fan does not turn on. Any ideas. Thanks
So Cal Mark

Re: Fan switch

Post by So Cal Mark »

since the fan switch screws into the radiator, I'd expect prying it out would break the lower tank on the rad. The switch works on the ground side, so it would be hard to blow the fuse while fooling with the switch. If the fuse is blown, you might check to see if the fan motor is shorted
mik
Your car is a: 1969 124 Spider Convertible

Post by mik »

Hey Mark, thanks for the comeback. I am referring to the blower fan switch on the console. I was trying to remove it from the console when I saw the spark and the point of the three connector wires, blowing the fuse. mike
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Your toggle switch may be shorted. There's not much room in there for the three wires to sit without coming in contact with each other so it's not unusual to have them touching. If you could install a wire insulator on the ends it'll help. I had the same problem with my 72. If you think the switch is shorted, I may have a good one. PM me if interested.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
beachboy

Post by beachboy »

The lower console is made of metal to which Fiat added foam and vinyl. Then Mike was extracting the fan switch,I dont think he bumped wires, he bumped one of the live wires into the side of the console hole and contacted the metal. It doesnt mean that the switch is now bad. He just created an arc, and the fuse blew. I think your fan problem lies elsewhere.