Tach on vacation

Gotta love that wiring . . .
mx266

Tach on vacation

Post by mx266 »

When the car is running the tach just moves a little. Doesn't even follow the engine rpms! Is it common for them to get dirty-dusty so they don't work . Maybe a good cleaning will help, or could it be electrical.
Timo

Re: Tach on vacation

Post by Timo »

Have you changed any other ignition components in the car, such as upgraded to later electronic ign?
mx266

Post by mx266 »

No when i got the car it wasn't working then. Seeing the winter season is crawling up on us i'd like to find someone who services them or where i can buy a new one. Im going to check the wires on the coil and the back of the tach. I'll go through all the service records from the first owner to see if any changes where made to the electronics. [ HE KEPT RECORDS OF EVERYTHING THATS BEEN DONE TO THE CAR SINCE DAY ONE, EVERY NUT BOLT SPARKPLUG IS ALL LOGGED IN A BOOK! THE CAR HAS 118000K ON IT.] Thanks for any help you send my way.
MX266 JT
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Post by narfire »

Mine packed it in completely the other day, so I cleaned the contacts at the fuse box in fact cleaned all the contacts with a dremel and now the tack works just fine.
Glad I did as the PO had a wire between the top and bottom contact behind the fuses. Did not have any protection at all.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Post by fiat218 »

quick question on tach/ it seems pretty common that most of them dont work, is there some reason for this :)
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider