1983 Pininfarina Azurra headlight relays

Gotta love that wiring . . .
wbsterritt

1983 Pininfarina Azurra headlight relays

Post by wbsterritt »

Great site!

On my newly aquired '83 Spider I've noticed two small relays mounted on the RH inner fender by the ignition coil. Upon first impressions and from what I've been reading from various sources, I would guess that these are for the "headlight relay modification." These relays do not show up on any of the schematics that I have found, however, these schematics are for '82 and prior. My question is this--could these relays have been factory or dealer installed due to the fact that they are so neatly and professionaly installed? Did Fiat change/fix this problem with their headlights in 1983 and later by installing the relays? I'm having electrical issues with the car and need to eliminate potential causes. In particular, I am wondering if these relays come into play with low voltage (+-8V) at the fuel pump, fuel pump relays, ignition coil, and ignition switch.
wbsterritt

Re: 1983 Pininfarina Azurra headlight relays

Post by wbsterritt »

I believe I have answered my own question. I think the two relays may be for the air conditioning. Can anybody verify this?
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

I got them on my 83 and it was for AC. But since i remove the AC they're gone
wbsterritt

Post by wbsterritt »

thanks!
Twister

Post by Twister »

They may be the A/C cooling fan and cut-out relays. My 84 manual says that there are relays (at least in 1984) for the high/low beams, but they are under the dash. I am not 100% that this will match your car. The headlight relays are shown on the relay tray under the right side of the dash. The fourth relay on the right side (closest to the rear of car or the warning chime) is for the High Beam and the relay next to the FI dual relay is for Low Beam.