Couple Wiring Questions

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jfletchx00

Couple Wiring Questions

Post by jfletchx00 »

Recently purchased an '81, and some of the wiring may be messed up.

First question is about the directionals. I have all other dash controls except my turn signals. I'm not sure if this is because of a wiring issue or what? Any info will do.

Second question is about the courtesy light and chime. The chime goes off when teh driver's side seat belt is un buckeled, and when the passenger door is in with the key in the start position. But when i turn on the courtesy light, the chime/bell comes on too. Is this a wiring issue, or is it the way they were made?
Zippy
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat

Re: Couple Wiring Questions

Post by Zippy »

On the turn signal issue the first thing I would check is the flasher. These fail quite often. Don't know what might be causing you chime issue.

Al
1978 Spider
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

The chime bell is wired at the two separate wires coming from the ignition switch. It gets power when the key is inserted, so it sounds like someone wanted the courtesy lite to work only when the key was in. This sounds like something someone would do if they ran the battery down by forgetting to turn off the lite.
You can get a very good set of wiring diagrams from Brad Artigue's site here:
http://artigue.com/?page_id=3
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
jfletchx00

Post by jfletchx00 »

Hello Rlux, thanks for the information, but do you know why the chime comes on when the courtesy lite turns on?
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

The switched wire on the light must have been tapped by the wire going to the chime. The wires going to the chime pass by the courtesy light as they cross the car under the dash and behind the upper section of the console. Because there is a red with black stripe wire going to each of the two components, I'd guess that's where your problem is. But it's just a guess. You'll need to remove the upper console and trace the wires.
Did you download Brad Artigue's wiring diagram for your car yet? If not, you should do it, they are invaluable. The nice thing is they can be enlarged as much as you like without loosing clarity. I have mine printed on 11X17 paper and they're real easy to read.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
jfletchx00

Post by jfletchx00 »

Thank you very much for the information. I have downloaded and printed them already, and they're out in the shop being used constantly. If you read this, thanks Brad Artigue. :D