Fuel pump probs -

Gotta love that wiring . . .
drewsteele

Fuel pump probs -

Post by drewsteele »

Hi All -
Ive got an 81 that was running fine when I parked it. I went to start it up again and no love.
The fuel pump never starts "humming"

I went under and ran a hot lead straight to the pump to rule that out and it starts spinning fine.

As far as next steps - Im not really sure where everything is and what I should check next.

Ive read in several posts about the dual relay - but not sure where that is -
Would someone be kind enough to give me some next steps and a description of where these things are and what they look like. Pictures would be of great help!

thanks for any help in advance.
Andy
adrians
Your car is a: 1981 Spider Turbo - missing the turbo

Re: Fuel pump probs -

Post by adrians »

Have you checked the inline fuse under the dash ?
THE FLEET
2014 Abarth "SS"
1981 Spider 2000 (Legend Industries Turbo - minus the Turbo)
1978 X1/9 1.3 Dual IDF 40's, Coupe Cam, Allison Header/Exhaust
1971 128 Sedan 1100cc, Coupe Cam/Headers
Motokhana Special 127 rear engined Rail 903cc
drewsteele

Post by drewsteele »

I poked around and the only inline fuse I found under the dash (well actually just hanging underneath the steering column) was fine.

Looking for someone to describe or send a pic of where the dual relay is a and what it looks like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - its gonna start raining in about a month and I'd love to get it moved to higher ground ; )
drewsteele

Post by drewsteele »

I poked around and the only inline fuse I found under the dash (well actually just hanging underneath the steering column) was fine.

Looking for someone to describe or send a pic of where the dual relay is a and what it looks like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - its gonna start raining in about a month and I'd love to get it moved to higher ground ; )
drewsteele

Is the dual relay for the fuel pump under the glove box?

Post by drewsteele »

I went poking around online and found a pic -
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad29 ... C00481.jpg

know this is an alpha but there's a similar looking relay under the glove box.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the dual relay is indeed under the glove box, mounted to the steel plate. The pump inline fuse is near the steering column
drewsteele

Post by drewsteele »

Thanks Mark - Do you know how to test to see if the relay is bad?
And if the relay is fine can you suggest the next thing(s) to look for?

thanks!
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

with the key on, afm flap open, you should have power through the relay to the pump. I don't have the wiring diagram for the relay here at home but you should be able to get it at brad artigues site. The ground connection for the pump is at the left taillight, have you verified that is good?
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

If it run whit the hot lead, the ground should be good. Move the AFM plate and gently tap the double relay. If the pump start, change that relay.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

There are two inline fuses up in the rat's nest of wires behind the fuse panel. You need the one that's on a brown wire with a white stripe. The other is for the cigarette lighter. You need two signals for the fuel pump to run: (1) power through the brown w/ white (fused) wire when you turn the ignition switch to run, and (2) power from the AFM when the flap opens, as when the engine is turning over, taking air in. The dual relay as Mark said is on the relay plate under the glove box, above the footwell, drop it by taking off the two screws. It is the larger one with a few colored wires on one side and a bunch of white wires on the other. It's the one on the right of the relay mounting plate in this picture:
Here's a diagnostic manual to help you troubleshoot it.
http://www.wcmotors.com/personal/Fiat%2 ... agnostics/
Good luck,
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.