Removing Regulator from system

Gotta love that wiring . . .
cartoonstrips
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat Spider

Removing Regulator from system

Post by cartoonstrips »

Two weeks ago I took the alternator and regulator off my '76 and took it to the local auto/electric place; The alternator was not working at all and the regulator was regulating at nearly 16volts.
The shop owner was going to rebuild the Alternator (Magneti marelli) and try to adjust the regulator.
I was surprised but tried to be strong when he said "check back with me in two weeks in case I forget about it".
I gritted my teeth and figured I could do other useful things on the car that didn't require the engine to run in those two weeks, like mount my new wheels/tires.

Today (two weeks later) I went in the local auto/electric shop and the alt/reg was exactly on the shelf, where it was left, untouched - so I told them I would just take it back, which I did.
Now - I really want to go to Autozone and grab their replacement alternator, but am wondering if I can buy the one with the built-in regulator and what wiring would I need to change/elliminate if I did this.
My car has been sitting there with new tires/wheels and several other good things and I haven't been able to even start the engine in those two weeks and I'm rareing to try out those new tires.
Thanks,
Jamie
http://www.cartoonstrips.com
jimincalif
Your car is a: 1980 FI Spider

Re: Removing Regulator from system

Post by jimincalif »

I can't answer your question specifically, but if you were measuring 16 volts, the alternator was definitely working. The regulator was malfunctioning.
1980 FI Spider
mPedro08
Your car is a: 1976 124CS1 Spider

Post by mPedro08 »

If you really want an internal regulator you can also upgrade the amps significantly with one of the aftermarket items from our vendors. I got the one from our sponsor, lots of power.

It sounds like your cheapest/easiest fix however is a new voltage regulator and keep the alt you have.
cartoonstrips

Post by cartoonstrips »

Oops, I should have been more clear.
The alternator does not work, it was tested separately.
The regulator was tested on a separate dedicated system that had it's own power supply.
Thanks.
james124

Post by james124 »

You may want to check out these threads.
http://fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php ... ent#p85031
There is also a thread somewhere describing what's required to replace it with a more modern powerful unit with built-in regulator. I can't find it right now, but I remember it was nor complicated - the vendors probably furnish instructions anyways. Maybe someone here can point out the thread location. I had an old Marelli rebuilt recently and it cost over $160 (all components needed to be changed and they were difficult to get). Good luck
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

cartoonstrips

Post by cartoonstrips »

Thanks everyone!
Great information - exactly what I needed.