Alignment

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
racydave

Alignment

Post by racydave »

They finally got the new Hunter alignment rack installed at the Chevy dealership where my buddie(Tim) works. It is a camera/computer system with "sensors" attached to the wheels. I had rebuilt the front suspension earlier, and was waiting for alignment. She was ill handeling and pulled right, now runs true. WE were suprised to see the computer did list specs for Fiat! It was difficult, but is good to have a personal job done for Daves new little sports car, dont think anyone else would have done such a good job! Thanks Timmie!!! 8)
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

It sure does drive better, huh? I also take mine to a Gm dealership for an alignment. It seems the tire stores don't have the specs in their computers.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Good deal Dave. Glad to hear you are back on the road. it is always nice to successfully put a project to bed.
Mark_vaughn

Post by Mark_vaughn »

From the places I talked to, nobody has Fiats in the computers. Just find you a place with the guy who has done this for 50 years and doesn't know how to use a computer anyway.

Worked for me.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I'll agree with that one; if a shop tells you the specs aren't in the computer you should avoid them. That statement is enough to tell you that they have no idea about suspension theory
Jon

Post by Jon »

Speaking of Alignments, I've never had my Fiat aligned while I've been stationed down here in San Diego. Any suggestions on a place where I could get it done within an hour-hour and a half from here? I'm going to be taking a trip up to Fresno next week before that 'season' rolls in with the rain!
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

avoid the chain stores, look for someone that does frame/suspension repair
Mark_vaughn

Post by Mark_vaughn »

My guy is at a local tire shop. It took him about an hour and half to get the car straight. If they do it in 15 min they probably didn't mess with the shims and stuff, or it was already straight.
Shane124

Post by Shane124 »

my car pulls to one side (can't remember which, if i were to guess, i'd say right) I went to have it aligned at the same place I had it done before and it still pulled. But it seems like if I hold the steering wheel straight it drives straight. the steering wheel just seems to turn itself. i checked all the tire pressures and they are equal (about 30psi). can anyone help me?

thanks
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

if it's a competent alignment shop and they set it properly, you may have a tire pull. Try swapping the front tires to the opposite sides and see what happens. If it pulls the other direction you have a tire with a slipped belt inside. If it still pulls right, then it's an alignment problem.
Hard to believe the shop didn't test drive it afterwards and verify the pull was gone
HOLLYWOODSPIDER

Post by HOLLYWOODSPIDER »

Getting my car properly aligned after the frame repair/front end rebuild was (and still is) a nightmare. I took it back to the shop 3 times, and it still pulled. It turns out that the shop they were farming the alignment work out to (the fiat shop doesn't have their own alignment equip.) doesn't even have any alignment equipment. The guys doing it were just setting toe-in, and doing it with long rods attatched to the front wheels. There was no concern for caster or camber.
I wore out a set of brand new tires in about 3k miles. The shop tried to blame the used shocks I brought them, but I researched and found out about their alignment shop's scam. Then I found a local frame shop that's been open for 80 years. They did a great job. Now my trailing arm bushings are going out, so it's squirrely again.