Emergency flasher

Gotta love that wiring . . .
james124

Emergency flasher

Post by james124 »

Only the left hand side on my 74 Spider emergency lights blink when switched on. The right side lights do not work at all. Is the flasher relay defective (still the original from 1974)? I believe the relay is located under the dash around the steering column. Do I need to remove the instrument cluster to get access to it? Thanks for the heads up.
pope

Re: Emergency flasher

Post by pope »

Do the brakes lights and turn signals on the right side work?
Typically the passenger side lights work by piggybacking off the drivers side. Check the wires from the drivers side that go to the passenger side and grounds.
james124

Post by james124 »

Thanks for your suggestions Pope. The signal and brake lights on the passenger side work as they should. That's why I was tempted to suspect that it was the flasher relay that is at fault. The easiest test would be to change the relay and see what happens. I believe the relay is located under the dash but is it easily accessible behind the instrument cluster or do I have to go from underneath the dash to pull it out(I have a bad back). Unless you think the problem lies elsewhere. Thanks for your valuable assistance. James
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

your flasher unit is a three wire unit. it accepts a signal from the hazard switch via the blue wire and accepts a signal from the steering column switch via the violet wire. it sends that signal in an interrupted fashion to the lights via the blue/white wire.

from what i see in the wiring diagrams, there is not a second set of connections at the flasher for a second circuit. sooo... either the flasher works or it dunt. temporarily replacing it with a KNOWN good flasher will confirm.

i suspect that you have a connectivity issue in the trunk and/or a grounding issue on the right side either front or back.

i am surprised that you are not complaining about the right turn signals as well.
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Post by fiat218 »

does the flasher work off the blinkers too?
my flasher works, blinker do not yet?
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider
james124

Post by james124 »

fiat218 wrote:does the flasher work off the blinkers too?
my flasher works, blinker do not yet?
I believe the flasher does not work off the blinkers but overrides them when activated. Your problem could be the blinker relay or the steering column switch.
BTW my problem turned out to be the 4 way flasher relay which I changed. Good luck, JImmyG
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Post by fiat218 »

i was reading this about flasher and blinker my blinkers dont work either so i suspect the flasher unit myself, but i dont have that typical round cylinder silver flasher for some odd reason, the flashers work on the car but they run off the relay , it that correct or did some one mess it up
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider