Brake lights question

Gotta love that wiring . . .
RoyBatty
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider - 1971 124 Sport Coupe

Brake lights question

Post by RoyBatty »

Hi all,
I have just taken delivery of a '75 Spider 1800 and am in the process of making it road worthy once again.
It is a California car with all the emissions equipment (that I now get to remove!). In spite of not having been registered since 1987 and not run for the last ten years at least, I have been able to make the little machine run and have sprinted it up and down my street a couple times before taking things apart for repairs.
One of the issues I found was that there was no action on the brake lights.
I pulled the wires from the switch and jumpered them and still got no lights.
I then turned the ignition to the "run" position and then they worked.
Is this correct? I thought the brakes were supposed to be wired independent of the ignition switch.
Anyway, I did a poor mans overhaul of the switch by soaking it with contact cleaner and lubricant and now have proper working brake lights once again.
Now for the windshield wipers! Yup, they too are INOP.
Thanks in advance,
Roy
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: Brake lights question

Post by baltobernie »

Yes, your brake switch wiring is "Spider correct"; just not "best industry practice correct" :)
Damn near everything goes thru the ignition switch, one of the reasons they fail. Wait 'till you get to the hazard switch :shock:

There are several threads on stuck windshield wipers and repair. Often the culprit is the delay switch or the rack itself, not the motor. Take plenty of photos during disassembly, and note wiring colors.
RoyBatty
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider - 1971 124 Sport Coupe

Re: Brake lights question

Post by RoyBatty »

Thanks BB.
I've been reading the threads on the wiper system and it looks as though I might be able to save it with the info available here.