fuel pump

Gotta love that wiring . . .
grittracing

fuel pump

Post by grittracing »

ok, i am not to good with electrical. problem is thought i needed a new fuel pump. bought a after market pump. there is a ground wire in the trunk on the driver side close to the tail lights that is both tail light and fuel pump. unhooked the fuel pump works but the tail lights do not. hooked up tail lights work but pump does not. any ideas ? ( the fuel pump does have a small and big connectors ) and i hooked them up as such.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: fuel pump

Post by spider2081 »

If you leave the ground connected in place in the trunk and remove the white/black wire at the pump, will the pump still run??
The Green/black wire is the switched power from the dual fuel pump relay. The white/black wire is the ground wire. I have a test light with alligator clips on it I hook across the connected pump. With the key on opening the door in the airflow sensor should power the pump and light the test light.
I am thinking maybe a previous owner sis something with the wires to make the pump run all the time. A number of people have had the fuel pumps wiring messed with by previous owners.
I can't remember which terminal is the larger one on a stock pump. I'm guessing it's the green/black power wire.