Need direction on after market ignition relay

Gotta love that wiring . . .
TRKNFLD

Need direction on after market ignition relay

Post by TRKNFLD »

Need some help. I've got a 1981 Spider 2000. Intermittent starting problems. Sometimes it starts right up. Other times there is a click when I turn the key, but nothing else. If I get the click, I try it again and it has started every time. Never more than 4 or 5 tries until it turns over and cranks. No problems from there. Runs great after it starts. I've tried to do some research on ignition relays and whether I need one. Is it true that the solenoid is not getting enough power and causing my problem? Do I need an after market ignition relay? If so, what kind? Where do I mount it? What wires do I connect to it? If I'm way off base with my primitive and inadequate problem solving, please set me straight there too. Thanks!
jimincalif
Your car is a: 1980 FI Spider

Re: Need direction on after market ignition relay

Post by jimincalif »

There are in-line connectors on the brown wire and the red wire between the starter and where they enter the wiring harness, behind the alternator. Take these apart, clean them on both sides, spread the male pin open so they go back together very tight. Or alternatively cut them out and solder the wires together. Of course make sure other connections on the starter, battery and the ignition switch connector block are clean and tight.

I had a similar intermittent problem. Once I cleaned those inline connectors it solved almost all my no-starts. Still the occasional one, and having eliminated everything else, it must be the ignition switch. So I installed a starter relay. Bought the relay at Radio Shack. They have 30 and 40 amp models, I bought the 40 though I think either will work. I mounted it on the drivers side of the engine compartment up high aft of the charcoal canister.

I ran a 12 ga wire from the starter motor to the relay and back to the solenoid. I took the original red solenoid wire and connected it to the relay and then grounded the other terminal. Now the ignition switch just operates the relay and the relay switches the solenoid. Have not had a click problem since.
1980 FI Spider
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

I'd start with the connections, but you could also have a bad spot on your starter commutator. I had a similar issue, the main engine ground looked a bit suspect, so I added another and haven't had another problem since.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
james124

Post by james124 »

As jimincal has already pointed out, it could also be the ignition switch itself. Next time the the starter does not turn, try gently moving the wires (especially pushing and pulling) at the back of your ignition switch. Do this while you hold the key in the start position. JimmyG
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

I would start at the exciter wire for the starter solenoid. The wire's connector I have found often gets spread open causing a poor contact and as a result a failure to engage the solenoid and therefor the starter. I would also test power to the wire to see if the problem is farther upstream (the wiring between or the ignition switch).

The wire for the solenoid is a trifle difficult to get to as its on top of the starter which is under the intake manifold.
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9