Directional lights and high beams.

Gotta love that wiring . . .
joephish
Your car is a: 1982 Pininfarina

Directional lights and high beams.

Post by joephish »

I just finished a timing belt replacement (82 FI ) and all went well. However the directional and the high beams don't work. I checked the fuses and wires and they seam fine. Junior has sat for a week but that should be of no issue. It is probably something stupid but I can't put my finger in it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe Pescatore
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Directional lights and high beams.

Post by spider2081 »

Have you rechecked all the grounds on the ground spiders located on the inside of the fenders on both sides of the radiator? This is what I would check first.

Good Luck
joephish

Post by joephish »

Yes I checked the grounds, tomorrow I will take them off and clean them. The High beams work but the directional lights do not. Also the indicator lights for both on the spedo don't light. I wonder if it might an issue with the wiring on the steering column, both arms are located on the left side.

Joe
TulsaSpider
Your car is a: 1978 Spyder 124 2L

Post by TulsaSpider »

Might try checking the fuses. They can become loose. If so carefully close the ends up a little. Sometimes I have to tap mine with my fingers
1978 Spyder 1800 make that 2L! Finally making real progress!
joephish

Post by joephish »

All is well with the directional lights. I found a posting regarding the connection between the Flashers and the Directional Lights. I pulled the fuse on the Flashers which also controls the clock when I store Junior for long periods of time to conserve the battery and didn't replace it this spring. I must have pushed the Hazard button in before I replaced the timing belt. With the button pushed in the Directional Lights will not work. Once the Forum came to my rescue.

Thanks to all.

Joe Pescatore
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Post by fiat218 »

if the flasher work.. does the blinkers run off of that same flasher? or is there some other component

69 spider
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider
124cso

Post by 124cso »

May I suggest, that if you park your spider up over winter, you do what I did to stop having to play with fuses.

Cost me about $4.50 to buy an isolater terminal. Just pull earth lead off the battery, fit new terminal to battery post, then attach earth lead to end post on the new terminal. It has a plastic thumbwheel to make & break contact and isolate battery in a few seconds. Also means you can put charger on the battery insitu without affecting car circuits.