Starter problem and tranny question

Gotta love that wiring . . .
lamborghinikid

Starter problem and tranny question

Post by lamborghinikid »

Ok here it is the problem of the day,, just stuck a 2000 engine and tranny out of a 1980 fi spider into a 79 2000 that had a carb. I've got rid of the Fuel Injection and going with the carb (the vaccume lines should be fun to deal with also) any way I have no voltage at the blade connection on the starter.. I should get voltage there to ground when the key is turned to start right? Am I missing something it had an automatic in this car before I installed the 5 speed. I thought maybe there were a couple wires from the automatic tranny I should have to tie together ato say its in park? or does it matter? also the starter is not fully engaging when I use a screw driver and jump the starter I changed the starter and still nothing do these starters use spacers? I've loosened the alt bolts a bit and still it isn't engaging it almost sounds like its hitting the fly wheel there is no gear grinding sound just like its either not going out all the way or hitting something before it goes in.. I'm open for suggestions.. :?:
majicwrench

Re: Starter problem and tranny question

Post by majicwrench »

With the automatic there will be some sort of nuetral safety switch, you need to find it and by-pass it. Lots of good wiring diagrams on-line

Did you use the engine, trans and starter out of the 80???
Keith
lamborghinikid

Re: Starter problem and tranny question

Post by lamborghinikid »

Yes I got it started now with the selector gear shift in the car from the automatic. now I have a timing issue and I don't even know where to start with all these vacuum lines,, this has to be the worse carb set up I've seen, My 69 124 was alot simpler than this. Is there any drawings on here that show where all the lines go? Thanks for the help Dwight