Potentiometer?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
rdavidson52

Potentiometer?

Post by rdavidson52 »

Along with my post last night on the gauges, while under the dash I found a single hooked up to an electrical line, tagged with a white paper tag labeled potentiometer just bundled up na dtucked up up amongst the wiring bundle. Twisted it back and forth several times but could nothing it seemed to activate / deactivate. Any ideas?

Thanks, Robert
NSDave

Re: Potentiometer?

Post by NSDave »

rdavidson52 wrote:Along with my post last night on the gauges, while under the dash I found a single hooked up to an electrical line, tagged with a white paper tag labeled potentiometer just bundled up na dtucked up up amongst the wiring bundle. Twisted it back and forth several times but could nothing it seemed to activate / deactivate. Any ideas?

Thanks, Robert
Wipers maybe? There are two knobs on my dash, one that control wipers, are yours both there? Dash lights?
Last edited by NSDave on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdavidson52

Post by rdavidson52 »

Thanks Dave. I didn't try it with the wipers on. I will try and see if there is any affect. I'm thinking not as this '84 has a wiper stalk on the steering column with up and down positions for off, regular and high speed. But heck, anything is worth a try to get it figured out.

Robert
kmac33
Your car is a: 1974 Spider

Post by kmac33 »

The potentiometer is a "wheeled" rheostat that most of us refer to as the "dim or dimmer" switch. When installed, it controls the lighting level of the bulb for the fiber optic lights (fan switch, vent system control panel). It has been quite some time since replacements were available so lots of Spiders no longer have them - and the lights connected to this rheostat are so dim, most people don't really miss it.
Kevin McMullen

1974 Fiat Spider - Restoration Complete! But the mods/refinements continue
1980 Fiat Spider
2013 Subaru WRX
rdavidson52

Post by rdavidson52 »

Thanks Kevin. I do have the in-dash rheostat, and, it even functions. This is like a spin dial. If there were a place for it to be mounted in the dash, it would have to be mounted flush with the stem straight out. I beginning to wonder if it may have been added by some shop for the PO, and, she may not have even been aware of it. Think I'll have to dig up further in the dash and trace the termination point of the wire. If still stumped I'll take a couple of pics and post.

Thanks for the help,

Robert Davidson