PLEASE HELP! random wiring

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Catlover

PLEASE HELP! random wiring

Post by Catlover »

hi, i just got a 79 fiat and its been driving great at 86,xxx mi. today, i looked under the glove compartment and saw that 5 wires are just hanging there unconnected. i unscrewed the cover to see that on a copper color metal thing was missing a cable. i suspected it was the white one hanging because the brown one that was taped with it was connected. so i then connected the white one and when i turned the key, it made an annoying buzz sound. I then removed it and thats when i noticed the other cables (2 double red cables and 2 single blue cables) which i dont know where they belong. And now, i cannot turn the ignition key! i put the key in and i cannot turn it. I dont know what caused this but can someone please help? also, i have no experience in wiring and those diagrams are impossible for me to read :shock: :cry:

here are links to the pics

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad23 ... C10362.jpg
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad23 ... C10363.jpg

Fiat88

Re: PLEASE HELP! random wiring

Post by Fiat88 »

The white one I'm pretty sure is for the door/key in ignition "annoying" chime, hence being disconnected(mine is too). :mrgreen:

Not sure what the others are, though.
Foster48x

Post by Foster48x »

catlover,
Don't worry about the red/black and and blue/white wires that aren't plugged in. They're not plugged in on my 80FI either and the car runs fine. I think the red/black go to the power windows and the blue/white go to the antennae.

Not sure why your ignition is locked up. Is your steering wheel in the locked position. Sometimes its hard to turn the key if it is.

Rick
Catlover

Post by Catlover »

i was able to fix the key.. all i had to do is wiggle it until i was able to turn it. it was a hell of a scare though!

thanks alot for letting me know that those cables are nothing to worry about :D