Abarth re-creation???

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
JohnnyRaggs

Abarth re-creation???

Post by JohnnyRaggs »

So I own a '71 spider which is in need of some TLC. Im driving it now, and having a blast doing it, but it will eventually need to be re-done. I was thinking of making an Abarth re-creation out of it. Now I know that the Abarth spider didn't come into existance untill '72, but those are just details. My spider has a 1400 engine in it, which I know I will need to swap (mainly because it has no power) and Im wondering what engines the Abarth came with, all I can find is 1800, is this true? Also, do you think Im getting in over my head? Has this been done before and what major changes will I need to do?
So Cal Mark

Re: Abarth re-creation???

Post by So Cal Mark »

it's been done on many levels; from cosmetic clones to performance clones. It just depends on what you and your budget want
JohnnyRaggs

Post by JohnnyRaggs »

Well my budget wants something pretty close, my wifes does not (but what she doesn't know....) I have done some looking around and have seen that Abarth's only came in hard tops and had body strengthening done. I will keep the soft top and will probably only do the body strengthening if its required. Im basically looking to change the powertrain to Abarth standards, as far as cosmetics, I would probably only do minor changes (getting rid of the bumpers, ect). From what I've read, the Abarth had a 1800 engine but more power can be got with a 16 valve head. Are there aftermarket parts for this? or will I have to find an original? Im pretty much in the dark here on this one.
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

There's probably almost as much different as there is the same, frt suspension, independent rear suspension, body mods, engine mods, etc. Check out this website for Abarth cars and parts: http://www.abarth-gmr.be/new/
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
thechadzone
Your car is a: 1969 Fiat 124AS Spider

Post by thechadzone »

Keep in mind that the 16 valve head conversion is not going to be easy. It will be hard, and/or expensive to import and modify one that was designed for a front wheel drive car. Their flow is opposite of the 8 valve head, their radiator pluming points directly at the firewall when mounted longitudinally on the 124 block, there are challenges for the exhaust system routing, and you'd have to cut up your car's firewall. These are just a few of the challenges... When finished, I believe it would surpass, rather than replicate 124 Abarth specifications in terms of horsepower and torque.

An original 16 valve 124 Abarth head would be nearly impossible to find, and extremely expensive. Original 124 Abarths in average shape go for at least 50 grand from what I've seen online.

The original '72 Abarth was an 8 valve, and I think it'd make more sense to base an Abarth spec motor off of that. The period mechanical fuel injection for the 16 valve 124 Abarth would also be a tough challenge to find & resurrect. Items like 44-48mm Weber IDF carbs are easy enough to find, and will meet Abarth specs if correctly prepared. You can have cams produced to match the lift & duration of the Abarth, the correct Abarth cam covers are available, as are the valve sizes & the like. Converting the car to independent rear suspension like the Abarth had isn't impossible, but god knows it'd sure surpass my capabilities...

Like Mark (I think it was Mark) said, there are a variety of ways to recreate Abarth. You can recreate through replication, or by specification. Replication by specification would require less money, and still be a fun challenge to research and produce. Replication by gathering as many original parts as possible might end up costing as much as a real one.

Just so there's no mistake, I totally encourage you to recreate the124 Abarth's mechanical specifications. Please take a lot of pics, and let us live vicariously as we chime in with whatever knowledge we have that'd help. It would be quite something to know, and be able to demonstrate the capabilities of that car, which won the 1972 European Rally Championship .

Keep in mind, that after all the work on such a car, you get this:

0-60mph:7.5secs

Top speed:118mph

Power:128bhp

Torque:117lb/ft

MPG:21mpg

21 mpg ain't bad!!! :wink:
JohnnyRaggs

Post by JohnnyRaggs »

Good to know, Im still deciding on what to do with my '71. I would love to re-create an abarth, but like you said, it will take time and money.

John