Universal Ignition switch

Gotta love that wiring . . .
dulcimerbob

Universal Ignition switch

Post by dulcimerbob »

The switch on my 76 is faulty so I am going to attempt to rebuid it using the Miafori article. As a back up ( as in if I screw up) I may use a universal switch from Autozone. I am out of Fiat money for a repop switch. Could anyone tell me how to wire it up? I plan to put it in the cig lighter spot if I decide to use it. Thanks
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: Universal Ignition switch

Post by baltobernie »

There are links on the top of Chris' page showing the pinouts and colors of the ignition switch wires.

Basically:

#50 starter
#30 and #30/1 ignition power in
#15/54 ignition
INT coil

You'll have to translate these functions to your "universal" Autozone switch pins. I hope you can successfully refurbish your Fiat switch, as the column lock is the only theft-deterrent these cars contain. Let us know how you make out, and share your experience and tips.
dulcimerbob

Post by dulcimerbob »

I got the switch out and rebuilt . Have not wired it up yet. The job was fairly straightforward per the miafiori site. My switch was a little different than his so i had to improvise. His idea to grind the small nuts to get the circlip back on is correct. Grind them almost half in two just remember to keep the threads intact. All in all a great article. I'll let you know as to whether it works.
dulcimerbob

Post by dulcimerbob »

I screwed up the rebuild . Don't know exactly how but the starter turns with no key at all. I have no idea how to fix it . I tried anyway 8)
dulcimerbob

Post by dulcimerbob »

Finally got the switch working ! :D had a part out of position that was not covered in the article. Just have to install it now.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Excellent job. Nice going on the perseverance.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Way to go,Bob.Now that FFO is over,I have some weekend time now.Ready to take a motorcycle ride?
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
dulcimerbob

Post by dulcimerbob »

Sold my Buell but I can use my son's KLR . PM when you are ready.
james124

Post by james124 »

dulcimerbob wrote:. His idea to grind the small nuts to get the circlip back on is correct. Grind them almost half in two just remember to keep the threads intact. .
I beleive I found a better method for use of the screws. I used screws with a tapered head. I counter-sank the holes so that heads came out totally flush and the circlip cleared with no problems. The end of the screw with the nut fit into the back of the metal cylinder.