horn problem

Gotta love that wiring . . .
tbush

horn problem

Post by tbush »

i got everything else in my car to work and now my horn decides to not work i don't get it. I got everything working except that and i did have it working! any ideas? fuses fine, looked at the lines they look good, haven't pulled it out and seen if it is plugged in anymore but after buying a new relay today and shucks thinking that it could be something like that i push the horn and i hear a click and it wasn't a fuse. is it that relay that i just spent $15 on? any advice would help thank you
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Re: horn problem

Post by maytag »

the 'click' you heard is probably the relay doing its job, so I would'nt immediately suspect that.

Which horn do you have? Is it the air horn, or the snail-shell horn? Either way, a simple jumper to the contacts on the horn will tell you if you've got a bad horn, or if it's further upstream. Even a small battery charger should do the trick.

If it's the air-horn, and it's been sitting awhile, it can be very temperamental. You'll notice there is a small oil-cap on top of the compressor. I'd linerally drop some air-compressor oil into it, and then clean the air filter area really well. a little 'foam-filter-oil' on that area is also a good idea. once you've got 'er good 'n lubed.... then lay on the horn for several long blasts. get a couple of minutes worth of air running through the compressor. (you can unplug the air-line from the horns if you want, so your neighbors don;t call the cops :roll: )
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
tbush

Post by tbush »

ok so after reading your post i had to run out to my car and get a picture i don't know if i helps and your instructions were kinda confusing too.

here is the picture

maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

sorry.... they all make sense in my head! :lol:

So you do NOT have the air horns. disregard MOST of what I said. It is very rare that this type of horn fails.
do you have a test-light or a volt-meter? You'll need one or the other to be trouble-shooting this sort of problem. You should start at the device itself. If you get juice to the horn when you push the button, then you know your horn (or its ground-path) is the culprit. If you DON'T get juice when you push the button, then back-up the line to your relay and check there.

Don't let it kick your butt! :lol:
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
tbush

Post by tbush »

i went a bought all new relays for my car just thinking that it might be that, didn't work, i also did take the test light and still nothing!!! i am just thinking that i am just going to take out the ones that i have and hook up completly new ones. super loud ones as well. thoughts on that? or is there and ideas about it?
tbush

Post by tbush »

NEVERMIND! ran out there thinking about it and guess what it was!? the fuse wasn't in straight so it wasn't completing the circuit! do you ever have those moments were you go eh ha! i figured it out!!!! thats what i just had with that. thank you for giving me the advice!