Another Starter Removal Thread

Gotta love that wiring . . .
BartusCompater

Another Starter Removal Thread

Post by BartusCompater »

I'm trying to get this starter out, after having been misled by the shop manual as have been many others. It's the top bolt that's stopping me, as well as a little ring bracket-thingy that's jutting out in the way of the top bolt head. I'm not able to get a socket over the bolt because of this thing, and I'm wondering what I should do.

Here's a picture of the "thing" I'm talking about.

Correct me if I've just been feeling around in the wrong area, but my last bolt is right under this thing, and I don't know how to get around it. Wondering if anyone has run into this before.
So Cal Mark

Re: Another Starter Removal Thread

Post by So Cal Mark »

looks like someone put an engine sling bracket on a tranny bolt. I'd suggest removing the tranny bolt using a long extension and swivel socket. Then re-install the bolt without the bracket on it
BartusCompater

Post by BartusCompater »

AHA. Thanks Mark. I never would have thought of that. Just assumed it was part of the engine or the tranny.
BartusCompater

Post by BartusCompater »

You were absolutely right about the sling. It took a breaker bar and a broken extension to get the bolt out of the transmission but I did it. The last starter bolt was cake in comparison.

Here's a photo for anyone in the future who isn't sure where the third bolt is positioned.