Gauge Faces

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Flyingthere

Gauge Faces

Post by Flyingthere »

I had my clock rebuilt by Radiopiolt and it looks great, now I need to clean up the other gauges. I saw a posting someplace that showed how to remove the gauge faces, however I can not find it. Can someone share with me how to remove the gauge faces so I can clean the lenses and bezel?
Thanks
azygoustoyou

Re: Gauge Faces

Post by azygoustoyou »

When you take them apart. You have to be very careful prying up the corner of the metal. Or you won't have enough to tighten down on the gauge. Then you'll be forced to glue it. The best thing would be to buy new stainless covers and just replace the ones you have. Here is a pic of the tool I made to do the job. It works like a can opener. twist it under the trim.
Take your time and you should be able to get the trim back on. When pressing the trim back on. If the lens moves at all. Stop or you'll break the lens. Also when cleaning the lens, You'll want to use a good quality cleaner that won't leave streaks and cleans the glass fully or you'll see the dirt when moisture appears.
I bought the stainless steel trim off ebay and replaced mine. I used a large punch to press down on the trim to fold it over. It was a pain but was worth the time. I also painted my speedo and tach needles yellow to make them stand out. Here's pic's and good luck.
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

A word of caution painting those needles, I painted on on a perfect working speedo once and the needle bounced like crazy after.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
SLOSpider
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider 2.0FI

Post by SLOSpider »

What if you clean the inside glass with shaving cream.....keeps it from fogging the bathroom mirrors...
1975 124 Spider
1976 Mazda Cosmo http://www.mazdacosmo.com
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

Or maybe spit, works wonders on scuba masks.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
azygoustoyou

Post by azygoustoyou »

Boy that would be terrible to not have working gauges because of a little paint. I'll let you know next year. :roll:
Flyingthere

Post by Flyingthere »

Brady thanks, I will give it a shot, and fortunately I have a couple of spares to practice on. As for the anti-fog, I have not given it any thought but I do know that spit only did a so so job of keeping my mask clear. I guess maybe I only did a so so job of getting it on the lenses. I think the shaving cream is interesting but I wonder what it will look like in a couple of months. I think I will go for clean and see where that goes for now. Thanks for the suggestions however.
SLOSpider
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider 2.0FI

Post by SLOSpider »

I think I would use the Rain X anitfog on the inside lens. Not sure how long it will last but Works good on my Helmet visor.
1975 124 Spider
1976 Mazda Cosmo http://www.mazdacosmo.com
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback
azygoustoyou

Post by azygoustoyou »

I drilled some holes around the gauge to even out the atmosphere to help with the fogging. I think Radiopilot had done the same on his.