SODA BLASTING>>?????Anyone tried??

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
zzeeksfiat78

SODA BLASTING>>?????Anyone tried??

Post by zzeeksfiat78 »

hi all,

Been watching the carshows and finding the new method of blasting, baking soda ype material.
i like the concept. we hav eone here in california but i hear its expensive but the concept is appealing.
There is also also one in Yuma , Az that comes to you...
what do you think?
my 78 has three coats of paint last one was a earl scheib type paint over dirt and all it's BAD.
looking for input ..
thanks
zeek
zeekscad@gmail.com
:) :)
azygoustoyou

Re: SODA BLASTING>>?????Anyone tried??

Post by azygoustoyou »

I think the soda leaves a residue behind after done. I used media to blast and it did wonderful.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

Its sodium bicarbonate which is different from baking soda only in form. The sodium bicarb is coarse and chunky and when shot at a surface explodes into a powder. Think of it like when you dip the spoon back into the sugar after stirring up your coffee. Some of the sugar globs together and forms chunks. If you shoot that chunk out and it hits a surface it will explode into the individual sugar grains.

It should not leave a residue, but if it does it can be washed away with water unlike the other forms of blast media. Crushed walnut shells also work and will not "orange peel" the metal surface like sand will.

I'm not sure if sodium bicarb will be aggressive enough to remove 3 layers of paint.
pastaroni34

Post by pastaroni34 »

Been there, though I've never done anything as big as a car with it. Its good stuff. The only problem is as a previous poster said, it gets stuck in all the cracks. You can wash it out with water but I hate getting water on a freshly blasted surface.

Still waiting to have a go at dry ice blasting. Nothing to get stuck because it evaporates :)