starter sticking

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ronj81

starter sticking

Post by ronj81 »

I have a 1981 Fiat spider that has sticking starter problem. I had already replace the battery and replaced it with new gear reduction compact starter from Allison. When I start her up the car starts right up but the problem with gridding noise or sticking still there. I am planning to replace the ignition switch and hope to have this problem resolve. But i would like to get some opinion from someone or expert who solve this issue in the past...Thanks guys! :cry:
So Cal Mark

Re: starter sticking

Post by So Cal Mark »

was your old starter hanging up also? Make sure you don't have voltage at the small wire on the solenoid except when cranking
ronj81

Post by ronj81 »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply - the old starter was making noise as well. I love the new starter by the way. How do I check the voltage on the small wire? If there is a voltage on the small wire what should I do to fix it? What color is this small wire you are talking about?

Thanks again.
Ron J
fiatS2000

Post by fiatS2000 »

Sounds to me like it might be your ignition switch that is starting to go bad. That is what sends voltage to the solenoid and also what removes the voltage once you let go of the key.
ronj81

Post by ronj81 »

Hi guys,
I finally replaced my ignition switch, but still here the starter stcking or not disingaging. I had double the small wires from the solenoid as mark recommended. I found that there are some voltage after starting the car - any recommendation of how to get rid of it?

Ronj