Start me up!

Gotta love that wiring . . .
MikeR

Start me up!

Post by MikeR »

I have a normally reliable 1982 F.I. which just recently has started to display an intermittent but (so far) self-curing, and therefore hard to diagnose, starting issue. Of course, my concern is, am I heading for a bigger future problem? And can I head it off with some 'inspired' diagnosis? The car is completely stock, apart from an 'autoWATCH' alarm/immobilizer, and has a fully charged battery.

Here are the symptoms:

i) once, so far, I had a 'no-fire' situation. All systems apparently working nicely, (instruments, warning lights etc.), full healthy cranking, but wouldn't fire. Cured itself within moments and no subsequent reoccurrence.

ii) more frequently but still very occasional, turn the key, all systems working nicely (instruments, warning lights etc.), but no-crank, (no starter solenoid clicking like you get with a low battery either and the F.I. double relay could be heard clicking when the key is turned). Again, clears itself after a few repeated attempts and then starts and runs beautifully.

Any tips on where to start my search would be gratefully received. I have seen discussions in this forum about faulty ignition switches and I wonder if my two fault scenarios could be related at that one place.
So Cal Mark

Re: Start me up!

Post by So Cal Mark »

you're going to need at minimum a test light and ideally a voltmeter. Check for power to the starter from the switch. I'd check the connector along the left fenderwell that is in the harness to the starter.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Mark,

Thanks for the fast response, yes, I have a test light and multimeter and am OK using them.

Could you clarify for me please. When you say 'left fender well' do you mean the foot well under the dash / steering column, or the starter wires on the left side in the engine bay?
billstyer

Post by billstyer »

I'm going to follow this closely, because I have the sometimes starter works, sometimes it doesn't syndrome. At least half the time, everthing works, except the starter. It hasn't stranded me, second or third try will always do the trick, but it is worrisome.
courtenay
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by courtenay »

Don't forget to check and clean the connection for those two wires that run from the starter to the ignition. They run near the alternator. There's a brown wire and a red wire. They seem to get finicky quite often and will result in a no start condition. Turn the key, lights work, seat belt sensor tinkles but the car won't turnover right away.
Bruce Shearer
'80 Spider Fi
'10 Volvo XC70
'06 GMC 1 Ton PU
'72 Spider a long, long time ago
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

I reckon you were absolutely right, again, Mark. The 'no crank' issue finally happened in a convenient place to diagnose and was persistent for the first time. A wiggle of the red starter 'trigger' wire corrected the problem and after a good check and clean-up of the connectors along that wire (and its near neigbours, of course) the issue has not reoccurred.

Thank you Mark aand Courtney for another 'on the nose' and inter-continental diagnosis! Much appreciated.