Exhaust Header

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
dalebernstein

Exhaust Header

Post by dalebernstein »

Looks like I'm going to have to shell out around 300 bucks for a header. Any ideas if that what they go for? IAP has them for just under 300 but do not need chrome. 1976 124 1800cc, any potential fit problems?
Mathew26

Re: Exhaust Header

Post by Mathew26 »

We have nickel plated headers that are under $300. And no fitment problems that I know of.
fiatS2000

Post by fiatS2000 »

Please take a look at this thread before you decide on a header. As you will read in the post, there are fitment and quality issues with some of the headers being sold by some of the vendors. If the header looks like the one in the pictures, don't waste you money, you'd be better off looking for a 4-2 manifold with matching 2-1 downpipe from an early spider..
http://fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php ... ent#p50978

This is some good information from someone who really knows how to build a proper Fiat motor.(taken from another discussion about headers.)
sptcoupe wrote:I don't know how many highly built engines I have had in my cars over the years. In fact, I think all but three of my motors have been highly modified, and all have had headers from the various suppliers that have traditionally made them available. Some have been better than others in terms of fitment, performance boost, etc, and none have been bad, but to be honest, most produce fairly modest gains that you often can really only measure on the dyno. They are a help, and the more modified the engine, the better the boost in performance, so I am not saying you shouldn't fit one as an essential part of your performance mods. After having done all the other work, you would be silly not to, and they will all improve performance over the stock versions (except perhaps the 60's/early 70s factory headers, which were pretty damn good).

Mark's header is the only one that I have not needed a dyno to feel the difference in performance. You can feel the torque and acceleration improvements in the seat of your pants, big time, and see the additional 4-500 rpms at the top, where it is not just making noise, but still making HP. I once had a passenger with me who described third gear in the coupe as "relentless". On the last dyno run of the coupe's new engine (now back out of the car for more work), and before it was properly dialed in, it made over 144 lbs of torque fairly well down on the rpm curve. I don't have the chart with me to give you the exact figures and rpm point, but it really did surprise everyone given the cam profiles, etc, of this particular engine.

And they have continued to improve the quality and manufacturing processes. Well worth saving the extra bucks to maximize the benefit from all the other mods you have done to make the engine breath deeper.

BTW, I think I am going to just sell the chromed header I took off the coupe's 1800. This is the VAS version.
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Post by narfire »

I have a set of Ansa headers that fit well.I bought from a reputable ex fiat dealer in Edmonton Alberta. I did not know about the details of headers..good / bad /great ect but my neighbor down the street makes them for friends and their race cars and he took a look at them and said they were good and well made. He pointed out they were welded on the inside of the flange as well as the outside and of a good gauge material. A few months ago I stopped in at a fellow with a couple of fiats and he was going to install a set he bought on- line or something. I took a look and noticed the material seemed bit thinner and they were not welded on the inside of the flange leaving a few micro holes between the pipe and the flange. This I believe will eventually give problems with the gases potentially burning through any place with a thin weld.
I would have liked a set from Mark, but $$$ dictated perhaps step below. My headers, down pipe and cat by-pass was $500 cdn at the time. Think it was another $150 + or so to have the lot ceramic coated.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
dalebernstein

Post by dalebernstein »

Thanks for all the info folks. Having discarded my broken/cracked factory manifold, I thought it was a great opportunity to install a header but may serach out for a non smog factory exhaust manifold that will button up to the '77 1800cc head and then go to the 2 to one down exhaust. Any ideas on what year such manifold will bolt up to the '77 head? I can plug any of the smog outlets that are there, but would be nice just not to have them at all. thanks! Or just may go with the Chrome header that Mike spoke of.
Mathew26

Post by Mathew26 »

All the exhaust manifolds will mount to your head.
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

Who,s Mike?
FatherG

Post by FatherG »

I bought a set of headers from Vicks for my ’75 Spider, and having had the seed of doubt planted in my mind that the welds around the tubes were of the thin variety and could cause leakage in the future…I had them inspected by two notable Italian trained Fiat technicians in Vancouver (Canada) and plus my own father who is a welder by trade. All three affirmed the quality of the headers and said leakage from these particular headers would not be an issue and the quality is very good. As far as I’m concerned, I would not hesitate to recommend them. The price point is also very good.