water temp gauge resistor

Gotta love that wiring . . .
vespatim

water temp gauge resistor

Post by vespatim »

Only after replacing most of the cooling system did I buy an infrared thermometer and realize that my water temp gauge is reading about 50 degrees too hot! :oops: I've replaced the water temp sender (twice), so either the gauge itself is not functioning properly or the resistor between the sender and the gauge has been removed. I can't find the resistor under the dash, so I think it may be missing. Does anyone know the resistance of that resistor? I'm hoping I can just put the right resistor in there and it will read the correct temperature... Does that sound likely?

Thanks!
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Re: water temp gauge resistor

Post by manoa matt »

The resistor will be up under the dash on the drivers side up by the ignition switch. It will be in a housing that looks like an individual fuse holder. It will be either red or blue plastic and screws apart. The resistor looks like a large fuse with copper wire wrapped around it. Sorry don't know the specifications of the resistor but it can easily be checked with a multimeter.

Since the gauge reads electrical resistance it will read higher the more resistance is measured. Dirty terminals in the circuit can increase electrical resistance and cause the gauge to read higher. Clean all contacts and connections of all the wiring in that circuit and see if the tem gauge starts to read a more accurate temp. Also clean the contact ends of the resistor but be careful not to break the wire.