Rear bumper removal

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
79SpiderSeattle

Rear bumper removal

Post by 79SpiderSeattle »

So.....I have decided to copy many of you by removing the heavy and unsightly bumpers from my 79 Spider. I have removed the front bumper and struts but am having dificulty removing the rear bumper struts. Does anyone have any tips on the easiest way to do this? Entering from the trunk doesn't seem possible and access from below the bumper also seems off. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks,

Brandon
Mathew26

Re: Rear bumper removal

Post by Mathew26 »

You have to pull your fuel tank and after that is should be straight forward.
79SpiderSeattle

Thanks Matt. I was hoping that I would not have to do that. Oh well ,thanks again for the advice.
carl55

Post by carl55 »

I have read that you can jack up the gas tank to remove the bolts. Do a search for details.

Carl
Mathew26

Post by Mathew26 »

No do not jack up the gas tank. You can bend it very easily. Removing the tank is just too easy please just remove it.
stefhahn
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by stefhahn »

Matthew is right if you forget to distribute the force of the jack - use a piece of wood and everything is fine while jacking the tank up - see watchukos famous documentaion: http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic ... 165#p75552

ciao,
Stefan
dalebernstein

Post by dalebernstein »

Yes indeed. Mine was a breeze due tothe total disassembly before the shell was dipped. Fuel tank must either be lifed or taken out. Great time to do a total rinse and conditioning for the tank interior by the way.
79SpiderSeattle

Thanks again for all the help and advice, I plan on removing the fuel tank this weekend to get the job done.
velozi

Post by velozi »

If you do not want to remove the tank and do not care about the bolt, just take a hacksaw and 5 minutes and you are done.
Foster48x

Post by Foster48x »

velozi wrote:If you do not want to remove the tank and do not care about the bolt, just take a hacksaw and 5 minutes and you are done.
Your right. If your getting rid of the bumper shocks why even keep the bolt. And if you do just buy another. Great idea velozi!

Rick