HELP!!!! Steering Box Mounting Point Repair

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
mPedro08
Your car is a: 1976 124CS1 Spider

HELP!!!! Steering Box Mounting Point Repair

Post by mPedro08 »

Soooooo

Taking the engine out for some freshen up work, new mounts and seals etc and I notice the steering box seems loose so I look closer and the PO had done a bodgy weld that finally gave way. Looks like some work for my mechanic friend who asked me to see if there is a replacement "weld in" part available or if we need to have one fabricated locally? In the meantime he is pressure washing and bead blasting my baby......grrrr...

Help needed with sources or suggestions....beyond throwing her away please....she's a solid ride with already too much invested to let her go now.

Thanks!!!
brunorahl

Re: HELP!!!! Steering Box Mounting Point Repair

Post by brunorahl »

Buy some sheet metal and grab the welder. It may be a good time to straighten the upper control arm brace and reinforce it as well. If it has splits in the metal by where the strut tower attaches, it will need welding.
carl55

Post by carl55 »

While you have the engine out and the welder handy check your front crossmember. You can do a search and got alot of info.

Carl
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Post by narfire »

getting happy with the welder.. take a look where the clutch cable comes out of the firewall. Has been known to crack there as well.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

You know someone once said: "A picture is worth a thousand words."

The steering box housing is aluminum. Someone that can weld aluminum probably would not make suspect welds. The frame rail that it mounts to is steel, however all three mounting bolt holes have internal tubes in the frame rail that "boxes" in the frame rail against crushing. Something Fiat SHOULD have done on the lower crossmember bolts.
mPedro08

Post by mPedro08 »

Is there a vendor selling a replacement part anyone knows of?

I think I may have found one but the exact name and placement of the part I can't be sure of till I can see it better. Anyone who has done this repair or even just detailed the engine bay with the motor out may be able to assist. The part I found is called a "Inner Frame Rail". There is a left and right version at the top of this page on fiatplus dot com.

http://www.fiatplus.com/body-shell-inne ... 1-p-8.html

Can anyone take a peek and let me know if that is the part the steering box gets bolted to please?

Also, if you can tell me what the part below it "LT FRONT TRIANGLE PROTECTOR" is for and if it's a brace or not that would help. I'm REALLY interested in methods to stiffen the chassis as well, up to and including supports or reinforcements for the floor pan rails....I think they are called...

Thanks in advance all.
brunorahl

Post by brunorahl »

That inner rail looks correct.

The only bracing I've heard of people doing on a street car, is a partial roll cage with a low front hoop. As far as I can see with the structure of the unibody that Fiat used, anything else would require substantial removal and replacement of the original reinforcement.

Once any bends, splits, or rust that you currently have is removed and repaired, the car will be quite ridged. That's never been a fault of these like with an MG or such.
mPedro08

Post by mPedro08 »

I have decided to replace the inner frame rail on the drivers side with a new one, I linked to the part above.

What do you all think about just replacing both while I am there? More work and the other one 'looks' fine, I will know more once the engine is out most likely on Tuesday but I wonder if anyone has any experience with fixing one, just to have to do the other side some time later.

I think I will also replace the cross member while we have it out since it is cracked and has been welded. I was thinking of getting a good used one from a vendor and having all the seams cleaned and welded to add strength. Thoughts on this idea??

Thanks again all..!!!
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

In my barn find thread you can se what I did to reinforce my crossmember, sleeved thru bolts seem to be a good upgrade too. http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3710
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,