header bow repair

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

header bow repair

Post by TX82FIAT »

folks, does anyone have experience fixing the inside of the header bow. I have an 82 spider (CS2) with the 40MM spacing for the latches. However, the inside of the drivers side header bow is stripped and the mounting area is floating within the header bow. The header bow is in great shap other than this one floating stript piece to attach the driver side latch.

Suggestions?

I was considering cutting the header bow open welding the floating mount and rethreading the mount? Seems like a lot of work and it still may have issues.

I was also thinking about drilling larger holes in the header bow to accomodate nylon fastners similar to a license plate clip and screwing the latch into the new faster and living with a small gap.

Finally, I could continue to search for a used header bow or even pay the high price demanded for a new header bow.

Suggestions appreciated.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: header bow repair

Post by TX82FIAT »

sometimes we get lucky with these cars. The nylon license plate insert fits perfectlhy into the existing holes. Two sheet metal screws and we are back in business.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban