trunk fix up

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Danno

trunk fix up

Post by Danno »

i don't know about other's trunks, but mine could use a new "floor" so I went out today and bought some 3/8" particle board which i intend to cut to the proper shape/size/etc. I was just gonna trace the old boards but they don't cover as much as they should, IMO. Soooo, after tons of measuring I'm about to dive into the cutting of the wood. Haven't decided whether I'm gonna veneer it (wouldn't that be fancy?) or just carpet it. I've got some pics and drawings that I'll upload in the next few days, but what I'm really posting for is to see if anyone knows of any, or has any, photos of a nice restored trunk, as well as any "custom" trunks ON A FIAT SPIDER! i've looked everywhere with no luck....
Hjulen

Post by Hjulen »

I hated the look of my trunk and always had stuff fall into the corners (where the jack usually is. I also thought that the standard particle board was too stiff and just awkward.

So what I did was I went to Pep Boys and got a bunch of that garage floor matting. You know the padded stuff that fits together like a puzzle piece? Then went to Lowes and bought some corn row outdoor carpet (very similiar to what came OEM in the interior) and some super strong 3M spray adhesive.

I covered all the exposed metal with carpet by cutting, fitting, and then using the spray adhesive to secure the carpet to it. Then I cut out the garage padding in the shape of the old particle board only bigger so that it filled up all the space and then covered it with the carpet also.

The neatest thing I did, or at least the thing I pat myself on the back for most, is that I then cut plywood in the shape of those opening in the sides, (remember where you keep the jack?) and covered those with carpet too. The end result is a finished looking trunk, and if I need to get the jack out I can just slide out the plywood piece. Otherwise its very secure.

I wish i was near my car otherwise I would take some pictures to post.
Mad-Machine

Post by Mad-Machine »

I did similar to my last spider. It looked really nice and clean.
v6spider
Your car is a: 4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider

Post by v6spider »

related to this issue has anyone ever installed gas struts in place of the prop rod in the trunk? Also, I am thinking of installing a remote trunk selenoid w/wireless remote. The universal kits are cheap.
http://www.v6spider.com
4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the later Spiders had springs to hold the lid up, and the very last Spiders had an interior release
v6spider
Your car is a: 4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider

Post by v6spider »

Mark,

It is possible update my 72' spider to use those sprung hinges and interior release setup?
http://www.v6spider.com
4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider
kapman001

Part one of trunk finishing

Post by kapman001 »

So this weekend I got fed up with looking at my gas tank and spare tire every time I opened the trunk and decided to start finishing it. A roll of auto carpet from wal-mart, spray adhesive, a few pieces of wood and I managed to get a half way decent looking trunk. my next step will be to finish the sides.

Danno

Post by Danno »

so, is that floor piece two seperate pieces?

I like the angled back idea. I didn't think of that (it's not too late though). I bought plenty of carpet so my trunk can match my interior. hope mine looks that good when it's done!

more pics as you get the rest done! looks great.
Hjulen

Post by Hjulen »

I agree, the angled back is nice and clean.