81 Restoration nearing completion

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
SpiderJim

81 Restoration nearing completion

Post by SpiderJim »

For those who have asked for updates as I put it all back together. Love my red calipers and black suspension behind my gun metal rotas. I will keep updating this topic with pics and updates or mods to the car. I just have to adjust that bloody hood (any tricks to it?) then will begin painting and fitting my trim bits then the interior customization.

The hood is covered with droplets of rain, not a bad paint job... Still cannot get the pearl to show on digital film

boogiedude
Your car is a: 1978 spider 1800

Re: 81 Restoration nearing completion

Post by boogiedude »

That's lookin pretty good! Those aren't stock calipers are they?
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

Are you going to re-spray the wheel wells black, or leave the white overspray? Black will look a lot better, and hide dirt.
SpiderJim

Post by SpiderJim »

manoa matt wrote:Are you going to re-spray the wheel wells black, or leave the white overspray? Black will look a lot better, and hide dirt.
Laugh... Yes, I have the material and will do them a little later when the weather improves as I want to power wash all the grime off then do them. The calipers are stock. Just rebuilt the entire brake system with all new parts and or rebuild kits as they are in excellent condition. A bit of caliper paint after a good buffing then degreasing.
stefhahn
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by stefhahn »

Jim,
this looks brillant!
As per the wheel wells I'd like to recommend to leave them white but overspray with black undercoat wax - this gives the nice color and you have the advantage to immediately see where the wax is going away later - as soon as there is a white spot: respray wax. I have done this with my Spider around 15 years ago and haven't had any problem with rust anymore
ciao,
Stefan
wachuko
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat 2000 Spider

Post by wachuko »

That is looking great!! There was a photo in your other thread where the color did come through. That is a difficult color to photograph.

Any closer shots of the calipers?

FYI, I got these for when I paint mine: Caliper decals

I ordered a set of both the FIAT and ABARTH to later decide on which one to use.

Drive Safe!
Wachuko

1981 Fiat Spider Progress thread
1967 912 Progress Thread
1981 911 SC Coupe RS Transformation
1983 911 SC Coupe RSR Transformation
1991 964 C4 Cabriolet Progress Thread
2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2015 FIAT Abarth
SpiderJim

Post by SpiderJim »

stefhahn wrote:Jim,
this looks brillant!
As per the wheel wells I'd like to recommend to leave them white but overspray with black undercoat wax - this gives the nice color and you have the advantage to immediately see where the wax is going away later - as soon as there is a white spot: respray wax. I have done this with my Spider around 15 years ago and haven't had any problem with rust anymore
ciao,
Stefan
I'm actually treating all of the interior box frame members, under panels etc with that creeping wax using a special applicator to inject and swirl it around. Uses a long tube with a swirl spray nozzle under high pressure. Any rust already hiding gets captured and put to death.
SpiderJim

Post by SpiderJim »

wachuko wrote:That is looking great!! There was a photo in your other thread where the color did come through. That is a difficult color to photograph.

Any closer shots of the calipers?

FYI, I got these for when I paint mine: Caliper decals

I ordered a set of both the FIAT and ABARTH to later decide on which one to use.

They would look quite nice. What is this fascination with the Abarth car. I must be missing a gene or something as I think it is quite ugly and reminds me of a Simca 1000 I rallied for Lucus
azygoustoyou

Post by azygoustoyou »

Hi Jaime,
I think you should paint the underside of the caliber white first. Put on your stickers and then paint them red. Then you could remove the stickers and you would have the words on there painted. It would probably last longer then the stickers. You have a cool idea and it looks good.
wachuko
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat 2000 Spider

Post by wachuko »

azygoustoyou wrote:Hi Jaime,
I think you should paint the underside of the caliber white first. Put on your stickers and then paint them red. Then you could remove the stickers and you would have the words on there painted. It would probably last longer then the stickers. You have a cool idea and it looks good.
Less work, less work, focus here, less work :lol: Doing that is too much work and you still run the risk of peeling some of the paint when removing the stickers.

I used the same stickers for the calipers on my 964 and it has worked well for the last 5 years.

Drive Safe!
Wachuko

1981 Fiat Spider Progress thread
1967 912 Progress Thread
1981 911 SC Coupe RS Transformation
1983 911 SC Coupe RSR Transformation
1991 964 C4 Cabriolet Progress Thread
2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2015 FIAT Abarth
SpiderJim

Post by SpiderJim »

With the Spider just make sure you mask off the slider area or your calipers can get stuck.
zzeeksfiat78

Post by zzeeksfiat78 »

to all, :D
i think they look good each to eachs own...
zeek