Gaskets for luggage rack?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
wachuko
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat 2000 Spider

Gaskets for luggage rack?

Post by wachuko »

Where can I buy a new gasket set for the luggage rack?

I called Bruce, he does not carry it. Vick Autosports does not have it. :?:

Drive Safe!
Wachuko

1981 Fiat Spider Progress thread
1967 912 Progress Thread
1981 911 SC Coupe RS Transformation
1983 911 SC Coupe RSR Transformation
1991 964 C4 Cabriolet Progress Thread
2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2015 FIAT Abarth
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Re: Gaskets for luggage rack?

Post by manoa matt »

You mean a black rubber washer? Try the plumbing section at the hardware store. Just bought some for a rack I sold last week. $0.16 each (X 4)
wachuko
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat 2000 Spider

Post by wachuko »

manoa matt wrote:You mean a black rubber washer? Try the plumbing section at the hardware store. Just bought some for a rack I sold last week. $0.16 each (X 4)
Cool! That was easy.
Drive Safe!
Wachuko

1981 Fiat Spider Progress thread
1967 912 Progress Thread
1981 911 SC Coupe RS Transformation
1983 911 SC Coupe RSR Transformation
1991 964 C4 Cabriolet Progress Thread
2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2015 FIAT Abarth
SpiderJim

Post by SpiderJim »

I enlarged the holes and am installing rubber grommets instead of washers. This way you can apply Vaseline to the hole then insert the grommet and it isolates the metal screw against metal trunk and also creates a weather seal. Mine was all rusted cause the dealer who installed it just popped in self tapping screws and should be hunted down and hung by the scrotum!!..
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

Jim,

The cars came from the factory wired for radios, dealers did not know this when they went to install them, thereby adding and splicing in more wiring creating a birds nest of wires in the center radio console.

Fiats were transported from Italy to the east coast on the top deck of ships without any cover or protection, when they arrived at the dealerships, the dealers only washed off the body and not the undercarriage, then undercoated the cars effectively locking in that salt spray, hence why they rusted out so quick.

Any thing else you want to hang them by now?

Also when you installed the rubber grommet, did you elimenate the tapered pot metal washer and fasten the rack right to the rubber grommet? If so that will seal out water, but if that tapered pot metal washer is still there, and the rack sits directly on it, water can seep in at that joint. You need another washer or o ring between there or water will get into the trunk.
SpiderJim

Post by SpiderJim »

manoa matt wrote:Jim,

The cars came from the factory wired for radios, dealers did not know this when they went to install them, thereby adding and splicing in more wiring creating a birds nest of wires in the center radio console.

Fiats were transported from Italy to the east coast on the top deck of ships without any cover or protection, when they arrived at the dealerships, the dealers only washed off the body and not the undercarriage, then undercoated the cars effectively locking in that salt spray, hence why they rusted out so quick.

Any thing else you want to hang them by now?

Also when you installed the rubber grommet, did you elimenate the tapered pot metal washer and fasten the rack right to the rubber grommet? If so that will seal out water, but if that tapered pot metal washer is still there, and the rack sits directly on it, water can seep in at that joint. You need another washer or o ring between there or water will get into the trunk.
None on mine when removed so I attache the same way thus using the grommet for my weather seal. Thx for the input