installing front shock absorbers

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

When installing front shock absorbers on a 78 spider is there a torque spec for the bottom bolt? Also do I tighten the nut/bolt till the metal flanges on both sides contact the bushing on the shock? Or should I tighten the nut, but leave space for the shock to have free play around the shank of the bolt, then put on a second nut to lock against the first nut? If this sounds to confusing I'll post pictures and diagrams later

matt
Mike Bashen

Post by Mike Bashen »

What kind of shocks are you installing their ? i need some soon .

Mike
Mark_vaughn

Post by Mark_vaughn »

I am no mechanic, just a fiater. But I will tell you what I did and have not had trouble with.

I tightened them down to the shock. There should be a metal sleve inside the bushing on the shock, which won't allow you to over tighten. As far as torque, I can't help. Don't have a torque wrench and am not allowed to buy one until after christmas just in case my wife got me one. Got to love that. I just tighten as much as I feel like and hope I don't strip or break anything. It doesn't always work out well for me though.

I used KYB shocks on mine. Lots of people use the Koni, but that is too rich for my car. The KYBs are a vast improvement over stock anyway.

MidArkMark

(I stole that from SoCal. Hehe...)
manoa matt

Post by manoa matt »

I had to install Monroe brand shocks. yea yea bottome of the line, but...
I live in Hawaii, and when I tried to order some KYB shocks from international auto parts they told me that they could not ship them to me because the shocks are presurized gas and could not fly on a plane. I tried to find some kyb's localy but not many fiats on the island so no one stocks them, and if they special ordered them they would be twice as much. I don't plan on racing my car so I think the standard shocks will do me fine.

If your looking for a torque wrench try: Harbor Freight Tools

I picked up a 3/8" clicker type 5-80 lb torque wrench for $19.95!!!

Not all of the tools on this site are the best quality. some are good some are complete S*#@. But If you are looking for a specialty tool that you'll only use a few times this is the place. You can buy the tool here cheeper than you could rent it.

I also got a compression tester for $5, some coil spring compressors for $6, as set of 3", 4" and 6" gear pullers for $9 can't beat those prices with a stick.
tanis

Post by tanis »

IMHO - I don't think its worth going crazy over torqueing this bolt. As mentioned above, there should be a metal sleeve inside the bushing that will keep you from collapsing it too far - I usually put them on with an impact wrench (half inch) with no problem. You can use loctite if you have any real concern, but as far as too tight? These are heavy duty parts, so get them good and tight (a 4 foot breaker bar is probably too much.. :) ) but as tight as you can get it with a half inch drive ratchet or foot longer bar should be fine. As I said -loctite works wonders if your concerned.
All the best,
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I'd be surprised if your Monroe shocks aren't gas shocks too.
manoa matt

front shock absorbers

Post by manoa matt »

Hey guys, I found the specks for the front shock absorber bolts.

top nut = 11 pounds

bottom bolt/nut = 36 pounds

matt
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
bandit

Post by bandit »

Ok someone needs to ban this idiot Reverse !!!!!!!!!!!!!