2006 Moonshine Rally

Shows, meets, organized drives, club info
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

2006 Moonshine Rally

Post by mdrburchette »

Have fun in the mountains of North Carolina and join us for the 7th annual Moonshine Rally

http://www.carolina-flu.com/moonshine_2006.html
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Great time in Elkin:

http://gallery.italiancarclub.com/124og ... ine+Rally/

What a blast! We couldn't have asked for better weather. 75 degrees and sunny with a light breeze. There were well over 100 cars of all makes and models and I was especially impressed with the Fiat turnout, which included 5 Spiders, an X19 from the NC coast, a '58 1100 and a 124 Sedan from NY.

The event was a timed rally based on average speed through the Blue Ridge Mountains that included a 20 minute stop at the halfway point and ended at a local winery. The cars were started 30 seconds apart with instructions that included a panic button for anyone that got lost. Fortunately, we didn't get lost, but there were plenty of missed turns and quick manuevers to make up for lost time. My navigator (I won't reveal names) told me at the beginning to just drive and he'd let me know when to turn. That proved to be a mistake on several occasions but with the hp engine he built for me, I was able to pick up the slack Some people preferred to sit back and trust my navigator, so there were several cars making turn arounds in the middle of the road...dummies! My brakes heated up at one point and I heard something under the car going clink, clink. I'm sure something important fell off, but it never caused a problem....yet.

During the rally, we caught up with an MGB and Alfa Romeo. We were all following about 2 to 3 car lengths apart, and as we were going down the road, a Suburban came up a driveway and went right in between the MGB and Alfa, not even slowing down. Great defensive driving on their part!

I placed 14th out of the 100 + cars, which was very good and it was good enough for 3rd place with the local FLU chapter but not good enough to keep from eating crow!