its blasphemy i know

General chat about the car goes in here.
MARKFOSS

its blasphemy i know

Post by MARKFOSS »

i just aquired a 1978 fiat spider and i love the little car but.... i want know how much trouble it would be to swap a honda s2000 engine into it (f20c) this would double horse power and id do all the required chassis strengthening etc. can anyone tell me how hard this would be?
Hjulen

Post by Hjulen »

Its not as crazy as you might think. I have heard of an LT1 motor in a spider and even a 4.3l chevy v6.

I am sure it can be done, heck anything can be done with the right amount of cash and fabrication.

I think you could make as much horsepower with a Fiat twincam with the amount of money it would take. I could be wrong though. Guys at http://www.turb124.com like to do crazy stuff, you can check there too.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

if you can do fabrication yourself, I'm sure it could be done. If you are going to pay someone, expect a hefty cc bill at the end.

The S2000 engine with it's engine management system is a good choice. The variable cam timing lets that engine create gobs of power. There are some tranny problems with those cars though.
MARKFOSS

Post by MARKFOSS »

wow an lt1 in a fiat?... dannng ive never heard of tranny problems would you care to tell me what they are.. im really thinking of swapping the engine out of it ...but f the lil twin cam can push some more power i'll go for it i heard of carb swaps but i can not find any internal parts such as cams valve pistons connecting rods etc. you know just to build the engine up... i wonder if they make a super charging kit for it
pastaroni

Post by pastaroni »

theres not really a "kit" available yet, however there are plenty of internals available from most vendors. the s2000 engine is nice but the only advantage it has is variable valve timing. i've helped with a few supercharging projects and could make brackets, pulleys, etc. for such an application.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

obtaining the right size supercharger may be one of the trickier problems to overcome, but with a few cars now factory sc'd it may become easier in the future. Moss Motors is marketing a kit for the MGB, but it sells for about $5000
Mad-Machine

Post by Mad-Machine »

turbo124.com is the site you should be looking at.. not Turb124..

anyway, I am soon to commence building a 16v fiat engine for my spider. After talking to the crazy aussies and kiwi's on that site.. I have decided to steer away from the turbo intergrale based engint to a normally aspirated one.. I just want around 200hp without all the complexity of forced induction.

Now, if you want forced induction.. it IS possible to mount the head from the Lancia Delta Integrale onto your block. You will need to cut and clearance the firewall to make it fit though as the head is longer at the back... but it is worth it power wise.. highest output I have heard of from an integrale.. 750hp with increased boost, better intercooling, and Nitrous.
Hjulen

Post by Hjulen »

Imagine that in your spider. :shock:
MARKFOSS

Post by MARKFOSS »

:shock: that kind of power could tear the chassis in half.....holy crap... you're talking about the lancia delta integrale?........wow i never knew you could do that... the only reason i really wanted the f20c is because of the major upgradability vtec boost options and fuel figures....that and 120 hp a liter isnt to shabby... hmmm