Brake warning light-delay switch?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
pooldoctorstl

Brake warning light-delay switch?

Post by pooldoctorstl »

My brake and seat belt lights won't go off (key on) and I need some advice. I have confirmed that both the emergency brake and fluid switches are working and completing ground when activated. I also noticed that the light dims a little when I push down on the emergency brake switch and "open" that circuit but even when I un-plugged both the emergency brake switch and the fluid switch, the light still won't go out so it has to be completing ground through the delay switch. The delay switch clicks when I turn the key to on, and the light will go out if I remove the delay switch. Looking at the wiring diagram, the violet/white wires on the ground side of both switches tie together at the C1 terminal on the delay switch so it has to be completing ground through the delay switch. I think I have a bad delay switch. Anyone else run into this?

Also, is this delay switch a standard relay or a special part I need to order? I know the easy way to fix this is to take the bulbs out but I want it to work.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Brake warning light-delay switch?

Post by spider2081 »

I have a diagram for a 1981 Spider. It seems similar to what you have explained. From the tests you made I believe you are correct in thinking the delay relay is defective. Maybe someone in your area could let you try one to prove you are correct.
pooldoctorstl

Post by pooldoctorstl »

Thanks for the confirmation, but they're only about 15 bucks so I'll just get one and put it in. I just wanted a second opinion because sometimes, especially with electrical problems, things are not always as they appear! :)
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

An important thing I finally learned about troubleshooting; it is always the last thing you try that fixes a problem. When you are lucky it is also the first.
Good Luck and please keep us informed