This one is a little different

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
lanciahf

Post by lanciahf »

Sorry Joe I only have one set. After seeing the spider above and Curly's spider from OZ, I would like to find another set of rears just to see how they would look in the front.

Ralph
spidernut
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider Automatic

Post by spidernut »

The dash is pretty neat. I also think the console lines are cleaned up nicely too. I'm not a big fan of the air dam, but I know many younger folks who would like the lines. He did a nice job integrating it into the fenders!
John G.
1979 Spider (Owned since 2000)
1971 124 Sport Spider (Owned since 2017)
1977 Spider (Sold 2017)
1979 Spider (Disposed of in 2017)
1979 Spider (Sold 2015)
1980 Spider (Sold in 2013)
1981 Spider (Sold in 1985)
2017 Spider (Owned since 2019)
Spyderbuddy

Post by Spyderbuddy »

i like it want to see more what did he do with the back the engine the speakers were is he from maybe could see it
Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

Engine is a stock 2L FI (for now) with some fancy colour. Clean though.

I will try to get more pics of the car as soon as I can get a hold of him. I'd like to do a more detailed article on it for my website. Will keep you posted.
lanciahf

Just a thought...

Post by lanciahf »

I was thinking about the spilt bumper design. I have a front bumper that could be cut but everyone I talk to wants an arm and a leg for the cutting and finish work.

Then I saw a 1973 Camaro and it came from the factory with spilt bumpers. I found a place that sells them new for 199.00. Much cheaper than 1300.00 that the Fiat repro ones sell for. I'll try to contact the place and get some measurements.

http://www.lonestarclassicauto.com/page3.html

or
http://ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Scree ... e=MCI-9230Image
MIGHTY 8
Your car is a: 1980 Spider

Post by MIGHTY 8 »

Hey Joe!

I, like you, couldn't wait to make the conversion for my car.

I researched and found this great shop, and am completely satisfied with the conversion!

Not only does it look cleaner, but there's a lot to be said of removing all that weight from the car.

It was a pretty straightforward job. I was charged for 8 hours of labor. They cut the original spec. bumper shocks, and simply welded those parts to the bumpers. Front and back were done the same way. I had brought in some turn signals from one of the kit Cobra websites, and had them put on as well. Completely clean and professionaly done!
lanciahf

Post by lanciahf »

Would you be able to post any pictures?
MIGHTY 8
Your car is a: 1980 Spider

Post by MIGHTY 8 »

I gladly will. As soon as I get a chance to get back to FL. and take her out for some nice picture settings.

Maybe even show off how nice the weather is, to those on these forums up in the North!

Back to the point though, I was really amazed at how simple the job was. At least the guy doing the work made it look simple. When he told me that he "built" a Lamborghini Countach on a Fiero chassis by just "Looking at pictures." I knew he was the man for the job!

I'm really happy with the work. Now to get to those camshafts...
Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

I still don't mind the look of the big tubes. They are heavy but at least the look balanced.

Mighty 8,

I haven't actually done any conversion yet, these were just pics of somebody else's car but it certainly got me thinking in that direction. It's just a bitch to source old bumpers right now. Please do show us pics of your car though. Sounds like you found a good customizer to do your work. Hang on to that guy.

Cheers!

Joe
tanis

Post by tanis »

I'm digging the interior - overall its cool, but the dashwork has my eye. If you get a chance, do me a favor and ask what, where, how, and how much that was. And where I might go to replicate!
Thanks
Fullcontact

Post by Fullcontact »

Can you find out where the side skirts came from? Were they handmade or modified from another application?
Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

Sorry for the delayed response you guys,

Jon,

The dash was hand made from a chunk of foam which was sculpted by hand, cut to fit and drilled to accomodate gauges and speakers, then glassed over. Owner tells me there's a total of $11,000 worth of labor and materials, the majority of which went into doing this dash. (I thought I was going to die when he told me the cost...) Turned out well though and exactly what he wanted. Looks like something straight out of "Unique Whips" the show about the bling merchants. Maybe they'd like a Fiat Spider as a feature car :lol: They do cool mods and probably charge just as much.

Don't know who you would get to replicate the work near you. I suspect possibly somebody that specializes in custom fiberglass work. You might talk to the body shop guys. I'd start there. If they don't do it there they should at least be able to point you in the right direction. That's what he did.

Skirts:

I believe they were adapted from another car, I did not ask but I suspect you could find any number of aftermarket skirts you could use in the same way. At some point I'll post a more detailed story on the car on my website.

Stay tuned...