Still intermittent no start

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jimincalif
Your car is a: 1980 FI Spider

Still intermittent no start

Post by jimincalif »

I'm still dealing with the occasional no-crank problem that I had at the turkey trot. Two weeks ago, drove the car about 30 miles, parked it for a couple hours, then when to start to come home. First couple of tries, click but no crank, third time it cranked after a moment of holding the key.

Today, it finally failed at home in my garage. I got a click, and if I held the key I got a humming sound as well, but no crank, tried it several times. Oil & batt lights dimmed significantly when hold the key, so current is flowing somewhere. Opened and closed the ignition switch connector, no change. So I hooked my voltmeter up to the starter terminal to see what voltage I had there. After I got the voltmeter connected, I went to turn the key and the damn thing cranked just fine even though I had not done anything.

The negative battery cable is new, I cleaned where it fastens to the body to shiny metal. New gear reduction starter. I cleaned all the connections to the starter to bright metal with a dremel wire brush. I cleaned the positive battery terminal and clamp as well. I have plenty of battery power, when it does crank it cranks very strong, and on a previous failure AAA did jump the battery just in case, but no start.

Any ideas? If it would stay broke I could fix it, but with an intermittent problem even if I change something I can't tell if it is fixed, or just decided to start. Thanks.
1980 FI Spider
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: Still intermittent no start

Post by rlux4 »

It sure sounds like your ignition switch is giving up the ghost. It's pretty common for them to act erratically before dying completely. I've seen a turorial on repairing the internals of them, but when mine went I opted to replace it. I'd heard bad things about some of the replacement switches, so I bought a used one from a forum member.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

Thanks, Ron. I bought Steve's switch out of the fiasco, so I have this available to swap. I would just like to be able to confirm the problem. At a previous time when it not start, I jumped the red and brown wires at the ignition switch connector, bypassing the ignition switch entirely, but it still did not crank. I would have tried this again today if it had continued not to start. Maybe I'm dealing with multiple problems.
1980 FI Spider
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

there is a connector in the starter wiring at the left fender well, sort of under the master cylinder near the top shock mount. I've seen those connectors very loose and corroded and it will cause the exact scenario you've described. The poor connection causes a large voltage drop to the starter solenoid
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

Thx Mark. I found the connector, it wasn't real loose, but I opened it up, cleaned both sides of it and spread the pin open a bit to make it tighter. Maybe this was it, or maybe it was part of the problem. At the least this eliminates one more possibility now.

Jim
1980 FI Spider
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I like to do away with that connector and solder the wires, but recrimping it should help
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Jim,I have had that exact same scenario since I bought the car.Very,very intermittent and it NEVER happens in the garage!I have gone through all connections,replaced switch,checked for loose wires and every once in a great while...click.The connection Mark mentioned has given me hope.I didnt realize it was there and I will be checking it tomorrow.
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

Sorry to hear you've got the same problem Craig. I cleaned up that connector and started the car twice after with no problems, but only time will tell. I've been outta town since so have not tested it any further.

I agree with Mark, better to just lose the connector. Don't really see any point to it.
1980 FI Spider
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

It has been more of an annoyance than a real problem.Sometimes it will go months w/o doing it.I was carrying the multimeter in the car for a while,but it never did it!!I will check/eliminate that connection today.As you know,when you do something to eliminate it,how do you know if it worked!! :?
Craig
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Post by narfire »

I know this is real obvious,and suspect yours is tight but I had a similar issue last year. Frustraiting but I went back to the battery and tightened the nuts on the battery clamps real tight and no problems since. I only got a half turn or so but it seemed to make a difference.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
robmorais

Post by robmorais »

THANK YOU!!! I followed up on Mark's suggestion and found the connector. On my '82 it is a bullet connector and when I pulled it apart it was really in bad shape... in fact parts of the metal connector had rotted away... I spliced the wires and soldered them together. The car now starts up every time!!!

Many Thanks!!

Rob
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

great news, woo hoo! :D
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

Rob or Mark,
any way someone could post a pic of this connector?I cant seem to find it,and dont know what I am looking for :oops:
Craig
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

ga.spyder wrote:Rob or Mark,
any way someone could post a pic of this connector?I cant seem to find it,and dont know what I am looking for :oops:
Craig
I can post a pic over the weekend if no one else does. Follow the wire from the solenoid. On my '80 it loops forward from the starter, then curves to the left behind the alternator and then aft into the wiring harness, the connector was right behind the alternator. As Rob said it is a round bullet-type connector. Since cleaning it I've started every time so far. Been afraid to say anything for fear of jinxing it.
1980 FI Spider
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

Thanks,Jim
If you get a chance please post the pic.I will look for it again tomorrow.I have a 80 I am babysitting (see Fiat Relaed) that has the same issue.
Craig
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !