connection to alternator

Gotta love that wiring . . .
FiatJim
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1973 spider refurbished

connection to alternator

Post by FiatJim »

On mt '72 Spider, the wires to the mounting bolt have a common round crimp on style connector. The challenge is that the mounting stem is so short that it makes it impossible to get a socket onto it,.. and to use an open end wrench I have to push down hard on the wire/connector. Given the history of electrical issues with the Fiat cars,.. this can't be a good way to go.

Hence my questions,.. is there a better connector to use which would allow a socket or wrench?

Jim
ventura ace

Re: connection to alternator

Post by ventura ace »

I'm not quite understanding the problem. Can you get the nut started by hand? That's what I would recommend, then put a socket on it to snug it up after you get it hand tight. Maybe you have limited space to where that is not possible -- I have plenty of room to work around mine (1970). Maybe experiment with different extensions or swivels if there is no room to get a tool in the tight space.

Alvon
pope

Post by pope »

You could install the round wire connector upside down next time so the crimp is facing away from you and gives you a flat surface to wrench at. You might have to install a washer first to raise the area away from the housing.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

Careful under there, Jim. That big green alternator output wire has a direct path to the battery, and the alternator case is grounded. It's easy to do some unintended welding :o

Perhaps a PO replaced the crimp-on terminal with an incorrectly-sized one, but that terminal should be "flat", i.e. the wire should be meeting the terminal at 90º. Someone may have bent the terminal rearward, causing interference with your socket.
FiatJim
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by FiatJim »

I appreciate the warning about the direct connect to the battery. Fortunately, the battery was removed for winter storage. :lol:

I will try and post a picture in the next few days,.. tomorrow's low is supposed to be 4 degrees - :shock: - so I'll be waiting until the temp hits at least 20 degrees.

I suppose my question is more design versus practical. I can get to the nut with a open ended wrench, but the nut is beginning to get rounded off. The actual connection between the wire(s) and the post are fine. I am just concerned about how many times that nut will handle being remoevd before it becomes nearly impossible
pope

Post by pope »

Jim,
I give you permission to take that nut up to the hardware store, match it to a shiny new one and install it.

Next.
FiatJim
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by FiatJim »

Gee sir Pope,.. thanks for the "go ahead". :roll:
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

Maybe its as easy as finding a longer nut? They make them in several sizes. There are 2 nut and bolt specific stores just domwn the street from me.........