Need wiring advice

Gotta love that wiring . . .
FordPrefect
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider 124

Need wiring advice

Post by FordPrefect »

I replaced the starter on my 77 spidey a few months ago, and after a few months of racing around in a working automobile, now the car wont start again (lights/radio/etc all have power).

Here's what I've done:

1: Tested battery, checked out
2: Checked voltage going to starter, it's 12+, seems ok
3: Pulled starter, everything checks out ok
4: I've been checking the ignition switch, but I don't know how the exact voltage/amps etc I need to look for on what terminals. I have a wiring diagram or two, but they don't have voltages or anything listed.

I have 12+ on the brown wire, black wire, and the red wire terminal so far.

I talked to a guy who suggested wiring a switch up by the starter to make sure that the red wire gets adequate current from the big green battery wire, but I don't really want to add to the wiring just yet, and would really like to figure out what happened to cause this.

I've read a lot about checking grounds, and I think mine is ok, ground strap looks good underneath.

So, any helpful advice to guide me tomorrow?

Also, I sort of figured that connecting the brown wire on the ignition to the red wire ought to turn the starter, is that right?
jimincalif
Your car is a: 1980 FI Spider

Re: Need wiring advice

Post by jimincalif »

Yes, brown to red should operate the starter. When I was having my starter issues, I put a couple of spade connectors on a couple of pieces of wire to a switch so I could see if it worked.

I replaced my started with one of the gear-reduction jobs Mark sells. What did you use when you replaced it?
1980 FI Spider
FordPrefect

Post by FordPrefect »

I replaced the starter with a cheapo from Rock Auto.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

nuff said. The el cheapo brands are not really rebuilt, They are repaired and cleaned and sent out to unsuspecting consumers
FordPrefect

Post by FordPrefect »

The starter is fine though, it bench tested like a charm.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

Do you have 12v to the post on the starter as well as the small red wire?
FordPrefect

Post by FordPrefect »

I'll have to double check tomorrow, but I think so.
FordPrefect

Post by FordPrefect »

The red, brown and black wires coming from the starter sort of bundle together and run to a plastic connector, and from there I think they go to the ignition switch.

I'd like to replace that connector, or at least clean it out, as it's fairly well saturated with oil and grime, but I'm not sure where I'd find a replacement or how to connect one. I can crimp on a couple of disconnects or something, but in interests of keeping grunge out and keeping things simple, I'd like to use the original(?) design if possible.

Anyone know what the connector is called, or where to find one?
james124

Post by james124 »

[quote="FordPrefect"]The red, brown and black wires coming from the starter sort of bundle together and run to a plastic connector, and from there I think they go to the ignition switch.

Lets go back a step. Did you connect the brown and red wire off the ignition switch? If this works, it likely means your ignition switch is faulty.

If this doesn't work, try bringing power off the black wire directly to the red wire connection on the starter, thus bypassing the red wire altogether. If this works, it would indicate a break in the red wire continuity.
Check all related grounds in the wiring diagram.

Keep at it, you will find the cause. Have fun, JamesG