Courtesy light

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Flyingthere

Courtesy light

Post by Flyingthere »

Guys I need your help. The courtesy light attached to the left side of the steering column on my '78 is the most unusual socket I have ever seen. I would like to understand how it works. It has three spades to it and it has a violet and a violet/white wire attached to it. The three male spades seem to all be common to each other? Strange, I do not see a ground! Anyway if someone can tell me how this works and what bulb I need to get for this I would appreciate it.
So Cal Mark

Re: Courtesy light

Post by So Cal Mark »

as I recall, there was an optional map light that plugged into that socket. I've never seen one, but I think Ventura Ace has one
Flyingthere

Post by Flyingthere »

Thanks Mark, I will check it out.
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

Bob,
The socket that you are describing is not really a courtesy light, but what is more like a trouble light socket or 'inspection lamp'. It does not fit any conventional sized bulbs, but rather it fits a special accessory inspection light that has a chord about 15' long and a special connector to plug into the socket. These are hard to find (not many around), and were an accessory that was available from dealers back when Fiats were sold in this country. I've only seen or heard of one in existence, and it is presently in my possession, gifted to me by a long time Fiat enthusiast, Dwight Varnes.

There were at least 2 different versions of this item. The connector that plugs into the recepticle, and the recepticle itself, changed sometime between 1969 and 1970. Here is a link to my photobucket site with some pictures. I have the light with a conector for the early design, so I made an adapter for the connector to cross over to fit the socket of my 1970 spider.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v26/v ... on%20lamp/

Alvon
Last edited by ventura ace on Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

ahhh! I wondered what the seal was with that sokes, but thought Luigi had too much vino that day.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
Flyingthere

Post by Flyingthere »

Ace, thanks, I had never thought of anything like that and am excited that I now have a quest to look for this or find something that will wok with it!