79 Spider Hazard Switch

Gotta love that wiring . . .
barnesjtsl
Your car is a: 1979 Spider

79 Spider Hazard Switch

Post by barnesjtsl »

I need to replace my Hazard lights dashboard switch.

Can anyone tell me what years are compatible with the 1979 Spiders?

Thanks,

barnesjtsl
barnesjtsl

Re: 79 Spider Hazard Switch

Post by barnesjtsl »

Thanks for the fix it suggestion. Found the article related to fixing these to be worthless. Absolutely more of a pain than it is worth, but thanks anyway.

Again I ask the question. Can anyone tell me what years Hazard Swithches are compatible with the 1979 Spiders?

Thanks again,

barnesjtsl
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

well, from practical experience, i respectfully disagree with the statement that "fixing these to be worthless". i wrote that article from practical experience, and following the article should put anyone on the road to repair. my '80 has used a repaired hazard switch in service for several years. i personally know of other Spiders on the roads of Michigan with repaired switches in the dash, fixing those switches personally for the owners. i am disappointed that my article did not help you.

IAP, and others sell these switches new for around $80 plus shipping. in my opinion, that is a lotta lettuce when compared to about 30 minutes of my labor in my garage. i find repairing them well worth the effort compared to shelling out that much money for something that fits in the palm of my hand.

new or used, these switches are prone to failure due to poor design; a new replacement being just as prone to failure as a properly repaired used unit. i recommend carrying a spare, or seriously carrying a toothpick as my article suggests. and, unless you are flush with cash, i'd highly recommend learning how to fix one now and again.

specifically to answer the question, my records show that all two litre Fiat spiders use the same switch, as do (i believe) certain Beemers. Pininfarina Spiders, use a different design as do pre- '79 Fiats.
barnesjtsl

Post by barnesjtsl »

Wasn't trying to be offensive. I'm sure that someone more mechanically inclined that I would have no problee fixing these.

I did answer my own question though by going through the listings at international-auto.com and found that 79 - 83 use these same switches.

Again, I hope didn't offened and thanks for your time,

barnesjtsl
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

that replacement from IAP will set you back roughly $80, and will come with zero guaruntee.

i will sell you a reconditioned unit for $25 plus shipping and promise you that in the next six months it will not fail mechanically. that is six months longer than you can get from them.

additionally, to show you that i am not offended, if you send me your malfunctioning switch, i will rebate you $5.00; something that IAP and the others won't do either.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

If the switch is already "broken" then mechanically inclined or not, there is no harm in trying to fix it.
Last edited by manoa matt on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

touche
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

You can use BMW 2002 switch,
from Mira:
Can use BMW part# 61-31-1-356-193. BMW part will differ in appearence (has chrome ring around bezel, etc) but plugs in without modification.

BMW actually has good parts availability thru it's Mobil Tradition program and you could probabily order from any dealer, but I don't know if it's any better that the Fiat switches.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

it is basically the same design. however, it is (or was) substantially less expensive than those offered by our regular catalogue suppliers.

same warranty however, and same mechanical design, equals same propensity for failure.
kmartin83

Post by kmartin83 »

My money is on Mike. I would recommend getting the switch from him. I have done business with Mike in the past and had great results! BTW Mike, that carb you sent me is on my fiat and is smooth; thanks!
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

we love it when a plan comes together... thanks Kathie
NitroDemon

Post by NitroDemon »

Awesome, I was wondering if there was a way to repair those switches! I'd hate to spend $80 or more for something so small.
Ozzie4208

Post by Ozzie4208 »

Hey thanks Mike,
I just fixed my Hazard switch on my 79, I took longer to get it out of the car than it did to fix it. Which by the way only took about half an hour total. 8)

Ozzie.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

yup... a great thing when the plans come together!!